Thread: Trigger Finger 44 mag

Default Trigger Finger 44 mag

I have a Ruger 44 mag and the first time I was at the range to try it out I cut the top of my trigger finger. I probably went through 30 rounds and then I could not shoot anymore. Any thoughts on what I should do?

Default trigger finger

I don't know what model Ruger .44 you have, but it sounds like there is a sharp edge that is contacting the top of your trigger finger, inside the trigger guard, probably on the edge of the opening the trigger protrudes out of. I'd take a stone to the offending edge, which you might find easily because it has a little bit of your flesh or blood on it. Once you locate and smooth the edge, wear thin shooting gloves next time.

Default Trigger finger issues with Ruger

It is a curse with the Ruger single actions and heavy recoil. The Ruger Blackhawks with heavy recoiling loads just are not confortable for most people.

I solved the problem many years ago by buying a S&W Model 29! On a double action the trigger figer is at the back of the guard - not in the middle like a SA. Of course the grips are different also.

Quote Originally Posted by Get a Grip View Post
    I have a Ruger 44 mag and the first time I was at the range to try it out I cut the top of my trigger finger. I probably went through 30 rounds and then I could not shoot anymore. Any thoughts on what I should do?
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

It's a Ruger thing, unfortunately. Some of their edges are a little crisp. Mine hasn't cut me, but it felt like it once when I wasn't gripping tightly enough. The grip has to be consistent every time.

I've been thinking of buying a trigger shoe for mine to cover some of its sharp edges. It probably won't help with your particular issue, but http://www.t-grips.com/ has some.
    Tsimshian tribe, wolf clan, the house of Walsk.

thanks for you advise. I appreciate all and they are good points.