Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knight Taxidermy

Default Knight Taxidermy

Does anyone have experience with Knight Taxidermy? I am thinking about asking them to tan a bear hide-- if I get lucky. Thanks. J.

They've done some African animals for me. I thought they sent all their tanning to someone outside, though...

Overall good work on what they have done for me.

Fish and a caribou. No complaints here.
    EricL

Quote Originally Posted by DPhillips View Post
    They've done some African animals for me. I thought they sent all their tanning to someone outside, though...

Overall good work on what they have done for me.
    They have their own in house tannery. You can also drop it off at Alpha Fur Dressers, too. If all you want is a tanned hide. Russell and his crew does top shelf work if you are looking to have the hide finished.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default Try Alpha Fur?

You might consider Alpha fur Dressers in Anchorage. I have sent several bears and a couple goats there always with good results. I believe that they are slightly less than going directly to a taxidermist because it cuts out the middle man, this is of coarse if you are only getting it tanned. If you are going to get it rugged, you might as well drop it off at the taxidermist and be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    They have their own in house tannery. You can also drop it off at Alpha Fur Dressers, too. If all you want is a tanned hide. Russell and his crew does top shelf work if you are looking to have the hide finished.
    Thanks for the correction. My mistake.

Default Quality outfit

Russ has done a couple critters for me in the past and they have always done top notch work. He has invited me to come and visit his shop any time to watch his guys work. I've taken him up on his offer and spent many hours there over the years watching the guys flesh bears to include turning lips, ears etc. and also to just hang out and learn.......
    Knowledgeable bunch of guys.

Thanks for the help; I appreciate it greatly. J.

They did a Grizzly rug for me, as I was recommended to them by my guide. They told me 12 months. At 14 months I started calling. Got my bear after 22 months (way too long). They did a nice job, but there are a lot of decent taxidermists. I can't recommend them.

I sat through the bear field care seminar he did at the show last weekend. The key item I got from that was to go visit him in the shop. He said numerous times he would be happy to answer questions, show you how to do this or that, etc.

Seemed like a very nice guy, professional, bad jokes though...

My friends have had work done there and I will say I was very impressed. Also Knight is a very good guy. He has in the past donated gift certificates to the ABA banquet.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Thumbs up Knight's

My experiences with Russ have been top shelf. Excellent work. You may have to wait longer than you think is appropriate, but the number of animals he takes in is the best indication of his work and also lengthens the timeframe. Especially bears, which he does a ton of.

Default Knight Taxidermy

Had them do a black bear rug for me about 15 years ago and it still looks very good!

I had a winter caribou hide tanned there It took about 10 months. They sent this hide out to be tanned, they did not do it in house. It was done well.

They have done two rugs for me [a griz and a goat]; my experience would echo what the other posters are saying. They do good very good work, but don't expect anything resembling a fast turnaround. I would say the quallity of their work justifies the wait.

Thumbs up

If it is just tanning my vote is for Alpha fur Dressers in Anchorage. They have done10 plus hides for me and always fast and good. Talk to them.

I just checked the box my tanned African animals came in, that I had Knights to handle, and it came from New Method FD in San Fran CA. Maybe they only send out the African animals, or foreign animals, I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by DPhillips View Post
    I just checked the box my tanned African animals came in, that I had Knights to handle, and it came from New Method FD in San Fran CA. Maybe they only send out the African animals, or foreign animals, I don't know.
    Interesting. Were they shipped to new method directly from Africa? I know that they do a lot of African game. Guess I owe you a beer, Dave!

Pete
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Interesting. Were they shipped to new method directly from Africa? I know that they do a lot of African game. Guess I owe you a beer, Dave!

Pete
    Pete,
    I had the hides, skulls, horns, capes, etc.. shipped to Knights Taxidermy from Zimbabwe. Knights cleared them through customs and I inspected the shipment at Knights. Knights then sent the hides out to be tanned.

Maybe they only do this for African or foriegn animals??? I have no idea. The mounts were done at Knights and they did a fine job (so far, they still have a couple of mounts that are nearly ready).

Default Double their time estimate

I will echo the comments above. Took a caribou there and it took much longer than they said it would. Kept telling me just a few more weeks, just a few more weeks, just a few..... Very frustrating. There are taxidermists in Alaska who do great work, for a fair price, who get the job done when (or before) they say they will.

I will also echo the comments about how personable Russ and his staff are. I just wish they delivered when they said they would. I don't care much how long the wait is, as long as you deliver when you say you will. I go elsewhere now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast