Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bow Hunting Certification

Default Bow Hunting Certification

Can anyone help me with a question regarding bowhunting certification...
    I am a resident of SC and wil be bowhunting for Bear in AK in May. I am told I will need to have a nationally recognised bowhunters certification but my great State of SC doesn't offer such a certification before I leave in May...Will the SC Hunters Certification suffice? It is difficult getting the AK DNR to return my calls..Anyone know? Time is of the essence...Thanls in advance!

Default Nope

You need to have an archery course that has a shooting proficiency portion. I have been through this with Kentucky.

You can take the On-line portion of the AK cert. by computer and then do the shooting portion here. One option.

Other is call the http://www.ibo.net/

Or http://www.nbef.org

And see if they have an instructor in your state or states around yours.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Thanks Dave....

Spoke with Fish and Game in Cordova today and they are fine without Bow Hunters Certification for 6D region...Thanks for your insight..

Default Cert.

You are probably hunting an area that does not require it. There are only certain hunts that do require the certification. Obviously, 6D my area, I can not think of one hunt that does require it off the top of my head.

If that is the case, you are fine to go.

Default Certification

I took the bow certification class yesterday and passed. Three guys showed up with their on-line test results. They still had to take the written test as well as the profiecency test. Don't bother taking the on-line test. You are just wasting your time and money.

who give the class on this? Is it state or someone that is a cert Instructor?

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Quote Originally Posted by p.j. View Post
    I took the bow certification class yesterday and passed. Three guys showed up with their on-line test results. They still had to take the written test as well as the profiecency test. Don't bother taking the on-line test. You are just wasting your time and money.
    That sounds like someone is pulling a fast one. To my understanding the online prtion that you pay for is good as the written portion.

Sounds like this needs to be investigated further.

Luckily I got mine in Montana so I dont have to put up with those antics.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default bowhunter certification

I was one of the ones who attended the class this weekend with my son. I made the mistake of attracting attention early in the class by allowing myself to become frustrated after listening to a 10min lecture on how important it is that we have good PR so non-hunters don't vote our rights away. I gave a few comments about our need to stop bending over and start standing up to these greenie-weenies that will never be satisfied no matter how many concessions hunters make. Mistakes will occur and we have to stand up for the obvious fact that we hunt animals and eat them. There are worse disasters in life than an animal with an arrow in the butt. I soon discovered what I have learned many times in the past. If you can't say something nice, say nothing at all. At the start of the class, I explained that my son had already taken the test online but I still wanted him to sit thru the class prior to the practical portion. The instructors agreed that this was just fine. After the first break, the instructors made the announcement that even if you took the test online you will have to complete the written exam prior to taking the practical. One of the instructors claimed that 'We have no way of verifying who took the exam'. I explained that I read the questions to my son to clarify them but he answered them online. Another instructor claimed that 'Some times it's the parents that are the unethical ones'. I knew I was wasting my time, I still remained in the class after break but after listening to another hunting story rather than sound instruction, we bailed.
    After some additional research I discovered that if you pass the online course, you must register for a field day certification. This is a totally different event that only involves the practical components of the certification. Frankly, it's my fault that I didn't discover this information prior to the course. I planned on sitting through the course with my son to allow him to hear the lesson plans from the 'experts'. I realize that they are volunteers but the fact that they think there is some conspiracy by parents to place unethical and irresponsible young hunters in the field is simply disgusting. They have swallowed the liberal mantra and churned it into a gleeful rendition of hunter's nightmare. They lecture to the class participants like we are some meager group of hillbillies hellbent on killing everything in sight. A few hours of instruction have little chance of changing someone's character flaws. If someone is going to break the law I doubt they will be swayed by this group. Sorry for being so lengthy. Just disappointed at my mistake and the lack of respect for a dad just trying to do the right thing for my son.

One of my buddies took the bowhunting class and one of the volunteers was a photographer.

Someone saw a fatbellied sapsucker bird and the guy left to get pictures!! The other instructor volunteer was just an assistant so he was clueless at first and from the sounds of it the class ran itself.

I just remember my bear baiting class was 95 % instructor opinion and 5% relevance to certification.

I already have a rant on the bowhunting forum about the online test so I wont go into that again.

Every class I have ever attended has always had a few know it alls, a few I've been doing this for years, and a few loudmouths that like to let everyone around hear that "they" dont really need to be here because they have been baiting or archery hunting or Muzzleloader shooting for years.....They waste everyone elses time when they do it, but they dont see it that way

Luckily i have all the certifications now so its a non issue.

i know this much - if the guy running the class was a volunteer - I suppose he has the right to go and do whatever he wants whenever he wants right?

Miller - how about you step up to the plate and volunteer your time to help others out....

Its a thankless job - cut em some slack ok

Quote Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
    i know this much - if the guy running the class was a volunteer - I suppose he has the right to go and do whatever he wants whenever he wants right?

Its a thankless job - cut em some slack ok

I agree to a certain point. Instructor including me, have to stay on task and not to wonder off topic. Yes most instructors do tell stores from time to time, and there is nothing wrong with that most of the time. Usually in the end there is a lessoned learned that is being passed on. Also I stay neutral when it comes to asking what brand of equipment to us.

And at times it is a thankless job. Many people don't know we will give up a weekend or several evenings to conduct these classes.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

The only problem I have is that it is a State required course. If the volunteer wants to take off then he should fill out everyone card as passed before he does so.

Thank you Alaska Grey for participating in the classes. Sounds like you actually care.

I pretty much think a lot of the game management is screwed up in this state and some of the classes are a joke.

I have a friend on the game board that when he first started, asked me a couple questions about moose and wolf management in unit 13. He asked if I had any ideas. I told him yes, make all moose hunting permit only in 13 until the population gets back up. He replied that if he said that to the board he would be immediately fired. Just a big circle jerk system if you ask me.
    (Largest moose I ever saw dead or alive was in unit 13 around 1988 when it was still permit only he was with 8 other bulls and five cows. He had all the cows I guess he was 70".)

I did tell him that I think the non-res wolf tags should be low priced and not expensive to encourage more wolf hunting. That did happen. Apparently I was not alone with that thought.

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    The only problem I have is that it is a State required course. If the volunteer wants to take off then he should fill out everyone card as passed before he does so.

Thank you Alaska Grey for participating in the classes. Sounds like you actually care.

I pretty much think a lot of the game management is screwed up in this state and some of the classes are a joke.

I have a friend on the game board that when he first started, asked me a couple questions about moose and wolf management in unit 13. He asked if I had any ideas. I told him yes, make all moose hunting permit only in 13 until the population gets back up. He replied that if he said that to the board he would be immediately fired. Just a big circle jerk system if you ask me.
    (Largest moose I ever saw dead or alive was in unit 13 around 1988 when it was still permit only he was with 8 other bulls and five cows. He had all the cows I guess he was 70".)

I did tell him that I think the non-res wolf tags should be low priced and not expensive to encourage more wolf hunting. That did happen. Apparently I was not alone with that thought.
    There are plenty of moose in unit 13. Saw 7 legal bulls and about 12 bulls total just off the Denali Hwy last year. Just cause they don't cross the road doesn't mean they aren't there. Sorry for the Hijack folks

Were they all fork horns? I was within 300 yards of the moose in the above post. How close did you get?

Of course my moose were permit only and a week after the season ended anyway.

Dont worry this thread isnt making any headlines.

Nah only saw one spike/fork the other 6 were 4 browtine/50". Was able to get the spotting scope on all the legal for sure ones within 500 yrds to verify. Except for two which were two that I spotting fighting on the hillside roughly 3 miles away and all I saw was antler flash in the binos and the spotter verified that both would have easily been bigger than the 54" moose we had shot a few days prior.

Nice. Thanks for sharing.

Default Teaching

Teaching the course, any course, you should first know your audience. Their experiences, education and so forth so you can determine what needs to be emphasised. If I had Fred Bear in my archery course I might want to hammer down ethics as he used to take 100's of arrows with him and shoot for really long distances at anything.

With an unknown audience, there has to be a starting point. And since a younger archer can take the archery cert. course, the book and information is going to be written on that level.

I have yet to teach the new class with the online portion, only about 60 people across the state have done the online. So no comments there yet.

As for the rest, we have to start somewhere. And any course curriculum is a work in progress. Changing to meet the needs of the students and the information that needs to be presented.

Default Touchy?

What the instructors did, in not allowing the online cert to count, was wrong. Thats not their position to force a retest. However, it sounds to me like a couple touchy individuals that butted heads where it didnt' need to be. Jackal, I'm sorry you had a bum experience. Whether or not you are an ethical hunter, the ethics portion of the class is important. Bottom line, whether the lecture lasts 15 seconds or 20 minutes, ethics in hunting will either float the boat or sink it. If we are ethical hunters, any arguments on ethical grounds against hunting can be shown to be the lies that they are, to the 80% or so neutral people in the nation. If the greenies have no ammo, they're just shooting blunts.

I didn't hear the lecture, so can't comment on its content. From what you wrote, though, you could both believe the exact same thing regarding ethics. Basically, radical greenies can't be swayed, just as dedicated hunters won't be swayed away from hunting. "Non-hunters" are not only the radical greens, though, but the vast majority of the public that does not hunt, does not have a solid stance for or against it, and can be swayed one way or the other in ballot initiatives and elections.

If it were me in your shoes, I'd do two things. First, try to mend bridges with the instructor, as this guy is talking to many hunters of all ages, teaching a class about hunting. Find out if it was just a mistake on the online cert, brought on by personal feelings between the two of you, or if its deeper. If the guy does think that he can power trip and deny on his own judgement a state issued course certificate, then the second thing to do is call the hunter ed coordinator in your area and lodge a complaint. Either way, there needs to be clarity between the state, the instructors and the public as to the verity of the online course.

This is all too bad. I took the class here in Anchorage a couple of years ago and I would say it was 95% practical knowledge and 5% "hunting stories." Usually the stories were offshoots of the practical knowledge though - i.e. this is why you should wait X amount of time before walking out to a moose that you've shot with a bow, because one jumped up and took off on me when I thought it was completely dead after 10 minutes. It sort of seemed like the instructors were teaching to the test - i.e. "the answers are . . ." But really, that was what we were there for, to make sure we knew the answers to things the state considered important. Overall I thought it was a good class and good experience. It's too bad others didn't have the same, especially when taking their kids along.

the online BowHunting course states right there in Plain english:
    -----------
    Completion of the online requirement is only a portion of the required curriculum. You must attend a Field Day and complete any remaining course requirements at that time. This may include a written test that would include Alaska specific material. You will have 365 days from the time you successfully complete the online portion to enroll and complete the Field Day portion of the curriculum.
    -----------

Sounds to me like its up to the "instructor" as to whether or not to administer a written test to any of those individuals taking the online course, and they decided it best to test. It also sounds to me that the Parent was reading the question to the child, rather than the child reading and answering the question themselves.

I'm not saying thats unethical - but I would say that if the child needs help from a parent understanding test questions then the child probably is too young to pass on his own. That may or may not be the case here - who knows

What appears to be the root of this issue is an online class that needs a little adjusting so that everyone understands the real case. I am not an instructor - but those that are, say something when they affix thier signature to the certificate and that is that they feel the person is a safe and capable bow hunter. If they can't veryify who took the exam then what is the value of going through the motions.

I side with the instructors in that I think they have the final say so before they give out cards with thier names on them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast