Thread: question on plastic boots

Default question on plastic boots

i've seen a few threads on plastic vs. leather for mountian hunting. Does anyone use their plastic boots for non-mountain hunting? Area we moose hunt involves a fair amount of climbing each day. thanks.

Default plastic boots

In my opinion plastic boots suck for walking any long distance. What they excel at is climbing steep terrain and side hilling. That is why I choose to not wear them while hunting anything but the toughest sheep.

In order for me to walk comfortably any length of flat ground I must loosen up the top laces to allow a little ankle movement.

I second what AKhunter said. Plastic boots are excellent for climbing steep terrain, but are horrible on flat land. On semi-steep land, I don't think I have a preference. I have both kinds and the plastic are definetly "special purpose". I would go with leather for moose hunting, that's what I do.

Last year was my first experience with plastics. I concur with the above posts. I sure did like them in the steeps, etc. But walking up a creek drainage on round rocks is pretty interesting. Since the boots have so much lateral stability they tend to throw your leg/knees left or right as the boot "rolls" on the rocks. I definitely cannot hike as fast with the plastics in that kind of stuff. I got used to it after a while and learned to "roll" with it But, with good gators I could "wade" a little deeper a little longer and still have dry feet. Bottom line is I like them for what they are made for, but my leathers are more comfy in gentler terrain. I did not wear them moose hunting and I hunt in the hills.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again