Thread: Kodiak in June - Please Advise

Default Kodiak in June - Please Advise

Hello Everyone,

I was hoping that I could get some input on Kodiak fishing during the month of June. I moved to Alaska from Wyoming last fall to work for an engineering company in Anchorage. I am being sent (twist my arm a little ) to Kodiak from June 2 to July 9 to oversee some construction, and plan on packing in as much fishing as I can in my spare time (primarily evenings and weekends). I've been doing some research, and it sounds like I'll have some reds to bother on the Buskin and Pasagshak Rivers during this time. I'm guessing that will be enough to keep me busy, but I had a few other questions...

Is the Dolly fishing any good in June? I've read that May and July- are peak times, but was wondering if there are still enough fish around to pursue.

Do you think I could get by with hip boots (which I will have there for work anyway) or would you recommend full chest waders? I need to be efficient with my packing.

Is there any good king fishing (road accessible)? It sounds like the run to Monashka Bay is pretty small. I'm trying to determine if it's worth bringing some heavier gear.

Any other thoughts, suggestions, tips on Kodiak fishing during this time will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Welcome to the forum, Wyo.
    Glad to have you!
    There should be a ton of info in the archives here, and you might want to drop AlaskanAuthor an email. He's a contributor to the fishing forum and freely offers his vast knowledge on that area.
    You can email him through our private message system.

He has some fine "fishing Kodiak" books available in the forum library too.

Hope it helps!
    Frank

Take your heavy gear. If there are not kings then you can try surf casting near the mouth of rivers and streams. You might be supprised what you can catch from the beach .
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Default Lucky you...

You are assigned work in Kodiak and like to fish; there could not be a better combination.

Your acessments of the Buskin, Pashagshak, and Monoshka fisheries are pretty much right on. As to the dollies, they'll chase the egg drop of the spawn and they'll be there. As well, you can pull dollies from the shoreline with relative ease. My favorite spot for this is Myrtle Beach, but beware the fox and eagle who will steal your dolly if you leave it lay.

Hip boots will work fine for you in those areas.

My Kodiak book will do you justice. It's the only definitive fishing guide ever written about the island and it's packed with the history to give you an appreciation of where you are about to go. It's in the bookstore on this site or you can pick it up on my website.

More tips?
    Certainly.

Hit the deep blue sea if you can afford it. Try Shawn Gornall at http:www.ultimateislandadventures.com. He has an excelent reputation and the fishery that surrounds the island is tremendous. Trust him to bring you to it.

Another tip?
    Well, why not.

Rock your socks off in late June with a guided ATV trip. Mike O'Neal of
    http://www.kodiakatvadventures.com will bring you to some great spots at Saltery Cove. The reds should be starting to come in by that date.

Like fresh brew?
    Who doesn't.

Visit the micro-brewery on Shelikof Street for great beer and then stop in at the B&B Bar (Alaska's oldest licensed bar) to sample the local color. The guys only look rough and they have hearts of gold.

Out to eat?
    Of course you'll go.

Try Henry's right downtown. It's where everbody eventually winds up.

The Barnov Musuem will enrich your mind, The Allutiq Museum will enrich your heart, and the total Kodiak experience is about to enrich your memories.

You are one lucky guy...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Default Thanks!!

I appreciate your warm welcome and input. And I've garnished a wealth of information since discovering this forum. It's a terrific site with terrific people.

I guess I'll have to bring the heavy gear, too. I've never hucked a line into the salt before, so that'll be a fun new experience.

Alaskan Author, I've ordered a copy of your book on Kodiak and can't wait to read it (probably several times). Thanks for all of your suggestions and tips... I definitely count myself lucky for this opportunity and I'm going to do my best to make the most my time there. I'm getting the impression that a month definitely won't be long enough... I guess I'll just have to make plans down the road to go back.

Thanks again!

Default Leaving Wyo

Wyo2Aka, With you already gone and me moving the end of May, that is not going to leave any one in the state of Wyoming. I've lived the last 30 yrs north west of Cody and now retiring and doing what I wished I had done 30 yrs ago. Where did you live in Wyo. I'm moving to just north of Anchor Point.

Default Hey Blue Thunder...

With as few people as Wyo has, they miss each and every one of us.

Congrats and good luck with your move to AK. I'm from Laramie, but I spent a lot of time around Cody... worked there as a surveyor one summer and did some hunting/fishing in that area.

Shoot me a PM sometime... when I get back from Kodiak! maybe I can head down to Anchor Pt and do some fishing with you.