Thread: Handguns?

Default Handguns?

Which one should a man carry afield. Is the 44 mag. too sissy in light of the 460/500 S&W?

Default If you go over to the handgun forum you will find

this subject thrashed out to the 9th degree...

Short answer is yes, go with the 500 enough said

Whatever it is, bottom line you need to be able to shoot it. I use a 44 and haven't met any animals that like it yet.

Is your 30-06 too sissy in light of the 600 Nitro Express? The 44 is plenty if you are willing to become proficient with it. If not nothing is. Are there better options? Personally I like the Casull/Colt combo (wouldn't shoot 460's in it even if they'd fit and a bear was eating my face. If the Casull won't get it done as Murphy has said...it ain't getting done with a handgun. Same applies to the really hot 45 Colt and uber hot 44).
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

I can't believe I am admitting this but when I see my friends showing off their giant cannons I get so selfconsious that I wont even pull my little 5.5" long tiny diamater weapon out.

Default It ain't size that matters, it's how you use it!!

What, envious that theirs is longer and wider than yours?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

It all depends on the application for the gun. Some people who are into pocketguns think that Smith j-frames are too big. .44 magnum is good for hunting deer and blackbear, especially in the brush. The ammo is relatively cheap compared to larger calibers, and it's a relatively light kicker. As brownbear defense, it's very minimalist. It's better than nothing, but I wouldn't want anything less.

I don't know if I'd ever want anything in .460. If I wanted something bigger than .480 or .454 I think I'd go straight for .500 s&w.

Comparing handgun calibers is a bit like comparing trucks: a big truck can do everything a little truck can do, plus more. It's just bigger, heavier, and more expensive to feed.
    Tsimshian tribe, wolf clan, the house of Walsk.

I carry a 41 mag. Is that bad?
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Yes R Miller, that's bad
    When bowhunting & hiking I carry a hot loaded 10mm. Is that worse
    I do hunt with the 44 mag (moose & black bear) & although we can't hunt brownies here on the Kenai, I don't feel too undergunned carrying it. I've been in one real tense close quaters situation with a big brownie with it, & it felt like a popgun in my hand, but I believe a 500 would have felt the same
    Someday I want to pick up a 480, but I don't feel undergunned until then.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."