Thread: Moose hunt tent - standing room?

Default Moose hunt tent - standing room?

I bought a Cabela's Alaskan Guide model 4 man with Alum. poles for a future moose hunt, and caribou for that matter. Weight was a big reason for choosing the 4 man, however it ahs only 4'-8" center height. The 6 man version is 6'-3" but weighs 6 lbs more. I am starting to rethink 10 days in a short tent.

Any way do you guys take tents you can stand in? Obviously it would be nice but with weight being critical........

I planned to rig a tarp outside to stand under.

I look at it this way. How long/far do I have to carry it versus how long I'm going to be in the tent. I usually take one large enough to stand up in. short tents are a pain.

Default depends

It should be based on if you are going to be doing any hiking where weight would be a concern as well as if you are trying to shave weight for a bush plane ride. Next thing to take into consideration is the terrain that you will be hunting. Up in higher elevations and the tundra you are going to want a tent with a lower profile due to high winds etc. Hope this helps.

My moose tent for ATV, snowmachine or boat access is a Cabelas Alaknak II 12x12. It is a little thin for winter below zero hunts but with a wood stove for hot water and warmth it sure makes cold fall hunts nice when taking the family or on any 5+ day hunt! For quicker hunts or pack in I go with something much smaller and use a tarp tied up near the fire for hangout space. I just use the tent to sleep in.

The only time I use a tent big enough to stand in is when i'm on a atv hunt for a week or longer. There's nothing like getting back to camp and hanging out in the tent with your friends and shooting the bull. Having a woodstove is a huge plus as well.

I use my Cabela's 6 man guide tent for all my truck or atv camping. I would not pack that thing in on my back. In my moose camp we use the tents for sleeping and a "screened tent" for the cook shack and hanging out in. There are a variety of models that range in price from $30 to $300 and you can get them at Fred Meyers or Cabela's. What I like about these screened tents is that they usually don't have a floor so there's no issue of mud or mess, and they are not that heavy. Last year we had "Stinging Rain" in moose camp and had to use every available tarp to turn the screened sides into something that repelled the rain. This year we are going with this.

You can find it at Cabela's.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thumbs up

I use a Cabela's Alaskan Guide model 8 man with fiberglass poles and I know it's heavier but I think it's well worth it....I love that thing!

Cabelas 6 man all the way. This tent is money with the aluminum poles.. Have had it for 6 years now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Weight is an issue, I have to ship it to AK and home at least twice, but that is not much more. And flight in weight is an issue. No way it is going on my back. I too have an alaknak for base camp lower 48 elk hunts. Love it. No way that is going to AK with me from Ohio. I kind of wish I got a 6 man now. Plus mine has no vestibule. That stinks.

You will be fine. Get a quailty tarp to hang out under and just sleep in the tent. Don't discount the possibilty of shooting a moose from camp. You can't shoot what you don't see.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveintheburbs View Post
    You will be fine. Get a quailty tarp to hang out under and just sleep in the tent. Don't discount the possibilty of shooting a moose from camp. You can't shoot what you don't see.
    +1

Wow, you guys have plush camps! I can barely sit upright in my tent, much less stand up in it!

Thanks guys, curious what most did, for 8 more pounds I can get the 6 man and barely stand, will have to think about it. I will do the tarp. Also upon more thought I realized most times in a tent where I can stand I sit on a chair anyway. However dressing it is nice to stand. Very nice.

I bring a tarp to stand and hang out in, don't do much standing in my tent.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Hey Don - Well - you already know what I use - a 12 man tipi with wood stove.

When I moose hunted in AK - we didn't spend much time in the tipi except for sleeping. Bring a light weight (sil nylon would work) tarp and build a couple poles to shape it like a tipi with one end open - or use rope to whatever trees may be near to shape a rainshelter. Use that to hang out in when cooking and fleshing capes You don't want to eat in your sleeping tent - at least we don't.

My buddy has the 4 man cabelas that we used in the chugach one summer. It worked great - and is a good sturdy tent - but it folds when my tipi is still standing and isn't near the room.

Check the AIH ad this week for my new tent for my moose hunt this year. 8 ft ceilings 12x16 and R-11 insulation.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author