Thread: china pot bay

Default china pot bay

How hard is it to take a boat back into the bay? I have heard it get shallow pretty quick. I have a 26 ft boat. I'm looking to go there tomorrow for reds.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

It is a gravel bottom and there are many rocks. Since its your first time in its not advisable with a big boat. If you have a skiff on top take it in and check it out. If the tide isn't in your favor you will be stuck until hight tide in a large boat and hopefully you won't end up on bottom. I was also informed that there is alot of property in that area that is owned by natives and they don't take kindly to you getting their fish or tresspassing. Might look into it a bit further.

Thanks for your info.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Question native conflicts???

never heard of any....the creek was plugged this morning, and commercial effort has waned.
    be careful with a bigger boat. the tides are moderate right now, but i would advise going in on an incoming, and always leave someone with the boat to adjust it as the water level changes.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default Also watch for...

the infamous China Poot tide rip!

I think I'm going to pass on this adventure until I have someone who has been there before.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I took my family there and there were minimal hazards. If you have a depth finder and or a chart plotter it is effortless. I had never been there before and went unknowing the first time. It is beautiful back there and if the time is right the reds are thick. My daughter caught her first red there and asks to go back every year. Leaving someone to tend the boat is good advice as the tide recedes quickly. Its easy to forget about while you are slaying the fish. I say go and have a good time.