Thread: Looking for a good pet load - 310gr 44mag.

Default Looking for a good pet load - 310gr 44mag.

I am casting some 310gr gas check flat nose bulltets in 44mag for bear loads, (Lee C430). I am casting them out of my own special #2+ alloy heat-treated and quenched for hardness (wheelweights plus tin and small addition of shot for the antimoy and arsenic to heat treat). I am having a hard time finding a good bear stomping load for this bullet.

I am settling on a load somewhere in the vicinity of 22-23gr (max) of H110 because I really like this powder. This is adopted from the 325gr LFN load from Hodgdon, and the Speer and Hornady jacketed bullets. I figure on settling somwhere below on account of accuracy and pressure, but I would like to know if anyone has loaded this specifically and found a preferable load. This is primarily for a S&W Mountain Gun 629-5 4".

Please let me know our thoughts.

I think H110 is a good powder to use for handguns.

H110 did good for me in my 454 casull with 300 grain gold dots. I also use H110 in my 41 mag.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

22-23 sounds a bit hot for a S&W. Using 320 gr hard cast and 21 gr of H110, my dad eventually shot a 629 out of time. Had to have the cylinder and lock work replaced at the factory. Could be an isolated case, but it wasn't fun to one day discover that the cylinder wouldn't reliably turn anymore. We backed off the powder charge a bit in the interests of reliability.

Yk

My max for a 300 sierra jsp in my old Llama super comanche was over 22 grains but I could not shoot that load in my Dads 629 because the cases would stick.

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

Hodgdon shows a max of 22 grains for the 325 cast bullet.

max of 19 grains for the 300 XTP

I now work up my loads with a chronograph which is a big help. Some of the loads will reach max velocity with less powder than it takes to stick cases.

My 454 with 300 speer gold dots is an example. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=28465
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default Thanks for the direction.

I figured that 23 was on the serious max end. I plan to shoot over my chrony, and stop once I reach about the 1350fps mark. These are going to be my serious bear loads, and as such shot very little. I plan on using Starline brass for working it up, and for the final loads.

I appreciate the advise for the S&W. Realistically if I can get the 310s shooting accurately and reliably around 130fps I'll be happy.