Thread: Wife's 308

Thumbs up Wife's 308

Well I put a thread up some time back about the little Ruger youth M77 308 I got her late last year. Well our first trip to the range she put about 12 rounds through it but the thing was not even on the paper, heck it wasn't even on the box! The important thing was that she had fun shooting it. I know my wife pretty well and she doesn't like to fail at things and she wasn't thrilled about missing (she really wanted to at least SEE where she hit!) So much for bore sighting... Several weeks later I was prepping for my winter moose hunt and took my 325 to the range since I was heading out anyway I grabbed the little 308 tossed it in the case and figured on getting it zeroed in for her. Now the 308 fits her GREAT but the length of pull is way too short for me and the little lightweight beast kills my shoulder worse than anything I have shot, so I wasn't excited about it! Well with a recoil pad and a towel over my shouder I got it set 2" high at 100yds. Fastforwad 4 months, this time back at the range getting ready for spring bear I took her with me to put a few rounds through her 308. I was feeling pretty confident about how well the 308 was zeroed so I hung a couple clays on top of a box at 100yards. She wasn't thrilled about shooting since my friend was there and she didn't want to look like she didn't know what she was doing. Well folks she went three for three turning orange clays into orange dust at 100 yards!! I was so proud she actually shot better than me today. Sorry no pics I didn't think a picture of a broken clay would improve the story. She is getting put in for moose draws this year for sure!

A couple of years ago I bought a new 1911 in .38 Super. I was jumping to get to the range and asked my wife if she wanted to shoot with me.

We went to the range and I showed her how to hold the pistol, etc. I put one round in the chamber, and she fired the shot. She said that was all she wanted to shoot, and that, "Now I know how to shoot, in case of an emergency."

I said, "You need to shoot hundreds or even thousands of rounds to get good at this."

She didn't answer and walked back to the car!
    Last edited by jorel77; 04-10-2008 at 02:34. Reason: spelling

Wow, My wife burns up rounds in my .44 mag and not the specials either! I can't get her away from it when we go shooting, she usually doesn't put it down untill the box of ammo is empty. I havn't been able to talk her into dropping the hammer on the 320gr Backpacker ammo yet though!

That's very cool. Last year, my girlfriend used my 308 to kill her first bear. It's a "customized" rifle - a Rem 600 someone used for a gunsmithing school project - with highly polished metal and a cool wood stock - not the optimum setup for hard AK hunting. But she loves to shoot it and she shoots it very well! So now she's my fiancee, and I found a Rem 7 Stainless laminated in 308 online, and it's on its way to me. Should suffice for anything she would be interested in killing with a rifle. When she's not using her bow... Great round, not a real punisher with the right load!

Chris

Thats pretty awesome. I am just getting my wife interested in shooting. She has gone with me at least once a week for a while now shooting my lil marlin 22 and she really likes it. She keeps getting better and better too, its really fun. Sounds like your wife could out shoot me Lujon!

Default It never ceases to amaze me....

...how well women shoot once they are shown how...I've shot and hunted for 20 plus years and they can outshoot me in an afternoon...I love it. And the smile on their face when the gongs start spinning is priceless.

I had a girlfriend that I took hunting for bunnies years ago and after walkin around and enjoying a nice evening, she asked if she could shoot the gun. I said "certainly my dear" well, we were shooting a vintage winchester pump 22lr that held 95 rounds, or something like that, at a pop can about ten yards away. Well, after two clear misses and some sheepish grins from her...she starts rat a tat tatting at this poor can and it looked like a cowboy action shooting show by the time she was done, with the can dancing like a mexican jumping bean.

I miss that rifle.

[quote=LuJon;246181]She wasn't thrilled about shooting since my friend was there...quote]
    Was that the same trip you patterned the Judge with Alaska_Lanche? I'm gonna have to tag along with you guys one of these times...Dang work!!

Yep same trip. Come along any time I would like to hear about that big bear first hand anyways. I here ya about work add in 3 kids and getting out is a challenge for me too!!

....Yeah, add in FIVE kids, in my case....(and homeschooled...)
    -I cherish my chance to get away to the range....

-Just got a new sheep rifle- a mod 70 Winchester Featherweight in the .30-06....
    put a Nikkon Primos BDC 3x9x40 on it (w/ Leupold 2-pc qu release mounts and 30mm high rings....)- it has been nice putting some various rounds through and sighting it in....

-You know, Lujon, a nice gun your wife might like is this .270 Ruger mod 77 ...I love it-
    -and, I really like to hear of more women shooting ...especially hand guns...-Neat!