Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: willow air

Cannery Creek Hatchery, Prince William Sound

Default willow air

I'm considering using willow air for a moose hunt in 2009. They seem a little pricey. But the area is any bull and fits my hunt dates. I usualy cant get out of work for a hunt until around the 11 or 12th of sept, so I need hunt with a long season. I talked to these guys at the sportsmans show and they said they drop most of there hunters in 21a along the innoko river drainage. Anyone use these guys? What do you guys think of area 21a for moose?

I looked into using them a little last year. Pretty spendy for where they were going to drop me. And in my opinion it wasnt very remote so we would probably see other people on the river.

Default Good spot

21A would be a good place for moose but If it were me I would find a different air service.

Cannery Creek Hatchery, Prince William Sound

Any recomendations for other air taxis' in 21 a?

Quote Originally Posted by #1duck View Post
    I'm considering using willow air for a moose hunt in 2009. They seem a little pricey. But the area is any bull and fits my hunt dates. I usualy cant get out of work for a hunt until around the 11 or 12th of sept, so I need hunt with a long season. I talked to these guys at the sportsmans show and they said they drop most of there hunters in 21a along the innoko river drainage. Anyone use these guys? What do you guys think of area 21a for moose?
    I used them in 2001. They were a good air service, but didnt seem to concerned about how we did. We went 1 for 3 but we didnt see a lot of moose. I went again in 2005 and had a great experience, with a different outfitter.

Default inland air

I am using Inland this year and I have read only good things things about them. They fly into allot of units. 21A is one of them.

I have used Willow Air twice for fly-in fishing.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND them for transportation. Be ready when they say they will be there to pick you up, they were not late either trip.

Willow air operates 2 Beavers (on floats) out of McGrath that time of year. their hourly rate then is $800.00. I'm sure as fuel prices increase, so will hourly rates on flying. Ya gotta pay to play.

Default per person

Last time I talked to them they were charging a "per person" rate depending on what you were hunting.

I think if you ask for an hourly rate they'll give it to you. I spoke with Steve the owner about 2 weeks ago and $800.00/hr is what he quoted me. I was looking at flying into an area that he had never flown into before, so maybe that was the reason for the hourly rate. I know up in Bettles their charging around $725.00/hr for a Beaver load, so I think this is becoming the going rate, give or take.

Default Go now!

With the price of fuel not looking to level off any time soon, I'd go and get your spendy trips done asap. Couple that with a shaky economy and a dubious presidential election looming, you never know what a democrat president will do to the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by knikhunter View Post
    With the price of fuel not looking to level off any time soon, I'd go and get your spendy trips done asap. Couple that with a shaky economy and a dubious presidential election looming, you never know what a democrat president will do to the sport.
    Not to hijack this thread and turn it into a political debate, but has anyone noticed how our economy is doing with our current administration? The dollar is at an all time low, diesel is currently up to $4.39/gal in the valley, the stock market is.....well you know, and the housing market is......well I think you know this too. I know George W. is not responsible for, well probably any of this, nor is he responsible for over 4,000 of our soldiers lost lives, yada, yada, yada. Sorry for the rant, carry on.

And electing a communist will fix all that
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

I have done the self guided with them in 21A out of McGrath. Great hunt, very remote, easy to work with. I did some comparing and their price was reasonable with no surprises. The moose out west were huge!

I called the refuge manager in Mcgrath and he said Willow went like 3 for 40 last year on moose. Might want to call him..

Why are people commenting on threads that are nearly three years old?

New members doing searches and posting on those topics.

I wouldnt fly with them if they owned the only aircraft on the planet. Personal opinion not based on actually flying with them, but having spoken with them on a number of occasions...so take it for what its worth.

BTW, wasnt ADF&G just whackin' wolves aerial style out of Mcgrath a couple of years ago to increase the #'s of moose for locals to harvest? Hmmmmm....Sounds like it was for the benefit of commercial operators too, or not, based on the stats huntalaska gave, it doesnt sound like it was too successful...

Quote Originally Posted by LungShot View Post
    I am using Inland this year and I have read only good things things about them. They fly into allot of units. 21A is one of them.
    Might want to read this thread...http://24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads...nt#Post4869609

A buddy of mine used Inland this past year. You might want to contact Wildone or Calvin on the 24hourcampfire and ask them about their 2010 experience with Inland.
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

I wouldnt fly with them if they owned the only aircraft on the planet. Personal opinion not based on actually flying with them, but having spoken with them on a number of occasions...so take it for what its worth.

BTW, wasnt ADF&G just whackin' wolves aerial style out of Mcgrath a couple of years ago to increase the #'s of moose for locals to harvest? Hmmmmm....Sounds like it was for the benefit of commercial operators too, or not, based on the stats huntalaska gave, it doesnt sound like it was too successful...

Pretty scathing remark since you haven't even flown with them. Please don't judge seasonal businesses by the seasonal workers they have to hire to answer phones. The wolf hunting is an attempt at a cheap shot too. If you think ADF&G does ANYTHING to benefit ANYONE but their own interests, you need to do more research. BTW, the stats huntalaska gave are way off - In 2010, WA was at 70 percent; on moose hunts.
    Last edited by White Bear; 06-26-2011 at 13:40. Reason: misspelling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast