Thread: model70 push feed vs Remington 700

Default model70 push feed vs Remington 700

I have been reducing some of my inventory of late and am a little perplexed.

I have a pair of Remington 700 ADL's, 1 in 30-06 and 1 in 243. These Remingtons are the synthetic/matte finish version and are around 10 years old.

I also have a pair of Winchester model 70's (push feed) in the same calibers. The Winny 06 is also the newer variety with factory synthetic stock and blind magazine. The 243 is mid 70's issue sporter and is hardly used (B&C stock).

The purpose these guns will serve is to tag along on hunts as back ups in case someone in the group had a breakage issue. I've also had occasion to loan out a gun to someone going out west on a one time hunt etc (usually my sons college buddies)!

With function/reliability being the main focus, which pair should I keep, the Remingtons or the Winchesters?

Well the world has gone nuts for the 700. They are or can be better than the WINCHESTER. The one downside to the Remington is the poor extractor. The WINCHESTER does have a smarter extractor than the 700.

I know everyone thinks the solution for the 700 is to put the SAKO or the M-16 extractor. But that is an abortion. Not what Mike Walker had in mind when he designed the 700 action. It defeats some of the strength.

If it was me, I sell all of them and get me a couple of other rifles all together different. I would find me a couple of good used Mauser actioned rifles in calibers you want.

But that's just me.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Default Reduction

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I have been reducing some of my inventory of late and am a little perplexed.

I have a pair of Remington 700 ADL's, 1 in 30-06 and 1 in 243. These Remingtons are the synthetic/matte finish version and are around 10 years old.

I also have a pair of Winchester model 70's (push feed) in the same calibers. The Winny 06 is also the newer variety with factory synthetic stock and blind magazine. The 243 is mid 70's issue sporter and is hardly used (B&C stock)
    Inventory reduction, HUH ! I would keep the Remingtons, I've owned and hunted with a lot of these rifles,and have had no issues.
    Other than mauser rifles I prefer rifles which have blind magazines. Just one less problem to cope with.
    I would guess off the bench the Remingtons are more accurate and that would be a consideration as well.
    Also Remingtons may be easier to obtain parts for IF you do eventually have a problem.
    Just my opinion.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Problem is that if I were to trade all 4 of these off for some good stuff (mausers) then I wouldn't want to loan them out!

These guns were either obtained in multi gun horse trades or bought dirt cheap.They are what they are! They are all functional. They make perfect loaners for guys who aren't as particular as you and I.

So maybe I should reword my question. If you found your self in Colorado on a elk/mulie hunt and a boulder fell off a cliff and landed on your mauser. The only two guns at your disposal were a 700 ADL or a 70 push feed both in 06. Which would you opt for!

I know, your back up would be a mauser too! Play along here Al! Smile!

Then it really does not matter which. They are all just another rifle. They all are about the same, I would have to research what brought the best money at the sell.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Id keep the win -06.

But that is what I have now.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default Win. 70 vs. Rem 700

If I was loaning some one a rifle I'd pick the Win. 70 if for no other reason than the safety. Choice is especially important if the gun has a blind magazine and you want to unload it safely. On a 70 you can at least have it on safe as you rack the cartridges out of the magazine.

Accuracy advantage of the 700 is not normally that important in a loaner; neither is the trigger. Ability to take the Mdl. 70 bolt apart to clean it is likewise not an issue on a loaner unless the shooter is a Mdl 70 user then the nod goes to the Mdl 70.

I'm a controlled feed guy myself so I think both extractors stink on a hunting rifle but the nod goes to the 70 of course.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Big Stick

No need to close the bolt on an ADL to unload it. Simply snick rounds out of magbox via bolt and stop well shy of chambering round. Flip ejection port to starboard and grasp live round.

Takes seconds and precludes any/all mechanical safeties and their chance of failure.

Win/win......................

Default YEP

Quote Originally Posted by Big Stick View Post
    No need to close the bolt on an ADL to unload it. Simply snick rounds out of magbox via bolt and stop well shy of chambering round. Flip ejection port to starboard and grasp live round.

Takes seconds and precludes any/all mechanical safeties and their chance of failure.

DITTO ; Give that man a cigar !!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default Unloading a push feed

I know that and you know that but we a loaner guns I'd rather see it unloaded with the safety on and the firing pin locked - hence one of the reasons for my choice of the Mdl 70.

Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Big Stick

"I know that and you know that but we a loaner guns I'd rather see it unloaded with the safety on and the firing pin locked - hence one of the reasons for my choice of the Mdl 70."

It is stupid to chamber a round needlessly and there's no way to sugarcoat that FACT.

In the means I described it is ABSOLUTELY 100% impossible for malady to occur. You'll not trump those "odds" via alternate methodology or mechanism(s).............

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

You know, I am not sure which ones I would keep? I have both push feed Winchesters and Remington’s albeit chambered for different cartridges, but have found both to function smoothly and reliably every time. Both have very nice triggers thanks to Andy Hawk and I have never (so far) had any issues with extraction or broken extractors. The one thing I have noticed on my own rifles, and I cant say that this goes for all of them out there, but the barrels on my Remington’s are smoother and tend to foul less, and are therefore easier to clean.

As a side note, I do much prefer the models with a hinged floor plate, as there is really nothing more fun than digging around in the snow or mud to find your cartridges after you have accidentally hit the floor plate release! At least that is what I have been told……………….. because I am WAY to “cool” to have ever done that!

I guess if I were you, I would just keep them all. After all, there is no such thing as “too many rifles”………….unless of course your trying to swim with them on your back.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

I'd keep the 700 -06 and the Winchester 243.

Default Safely unloading a rifle with a blind magazine

Unfortunaltey we have all seen a lot of people do stupid things like chambering a cartridge needlessly. A relatively unexperienced shooter with a loaner gun is not a good bet for doing everything in the safest manner.

With a push feed rifle with the muzzle down in the generally acccepted and taught safe position it is all to easy to let a cartridge slide down into the chamber. The cartridge may or may not slide out when you evevate the muzzle.

Paul Mauser got it right the first time when he aded a firing pin locking safety on the bolt sleeve. The Remington 700 series and other rifles that combined the safety with the trigger went in the wrong dirrection from a safety stand point. Winchester realy screwed up the Mdl. 70 in 1964 but at least they kept the safety mechanism in the right place.

"I know that and you know that but we a loaner guns I'd rather see it unloaded with the safety on and the firing pin locked - hence one of the reasons for my choice of the Mdl 70."

It is stupid to chamber a round needlessly and there's no way to sugarcoat that FACT.

In the means I described it is ABSOLUTELY 100% impossible for malady to occur. You'll not trump those "odds" via alternate methodology or mechanism(s).............

Default Remington

I think I would keep the remington's as they are nice rifles. The winchester's are nice too but it sure sounds like a hard decision to let them go. I certainly like the safeties on the winchesters and they are well built. I would go with which ever is the most accurate if you can't decide. I believe their are many more after-market upgrades for the remington's too! As for the question on the elk hunt if I had to make a choice I would pick the remington and hunt with it, if that were the options.

I say keep the Winchester 70 because of the safety on the bolt. I have Mauser actions and I also have a Remington 700. Mauser actions are MUCH safer. You could probably hit them with a hammer and they wouldn't fire. Remingtons on the other hand, safety only locks the trigger and it is easier to accidently turn off.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

This is not the ONLY consideration, by any means, and quality of workmanship is probably paramount.

BUT them thar Rem. 700's, (I've got 2 of them) have an extractor that chews up the case heads of my brass. If I don't brush out the shavings all the time, I'm afraid it's gonna cause me some grief.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default Rem 700 vs Mod 70

I would go with what is comfortable. I have a buddy with the Sheriffs office here, and he loves his 700. I've been shooting my mod 70 since '82, When it was left to me by my brother. I was 13 when he took me to shoot it for the first time. I'd say .300 magnum would not be my first choice when it comes to firing a high powered rifle for the time, quite a jolt. But i was hooked to the power of it ever since. My buddy and i have gone to the range and hunting numerous times. We've fired each others rifles numerous times. The rifles are almost twins, same caliber, aftermarket stocks, barrels, optics, bipods. When their at the range on the bench. Now my buddy was a marine sharpshooter, myself trained by the Army at Benning for the Air Force Special Ops countersniping program. So really we shoot like the military taught us too. So other than, he's fired his weapon for less than 10 years, and i've fired mine, for more that 25, I'd say its even to weapon putting ammo on target. My Mod 70, just fits and feels like it was born in my arms. I've never had a misfeed or any of the crap i read about with the push to feed. Not even under duress, like one article said. And i'd say a charging 700 wild hog would fall in that catagory. My brother own the gun 4 years before me, and i can't remember him having any problems with it either. I've never made a 1000yd shot with it. Our range here at the Police Range is only 500yd. and hunting in the south, well, a bag of apples will get it as close and where you want it to kill it. My ruger 10/22 will back that up.
    My point. If you like it than thats all that matters. If a boulder falls on it. well, you would probably be holding it at the time, so it wouldn't matter. hunts over