Thread: Birchwood flight instruction

Default Birchwood flight instruction

ok guys got a serious question here. There is no flight instruction at birchwood. Maybe a few CFIIs floating around here and there (I am one of them!) It is the prefect place to teach primary students. big runway, very rare there is a crosswind, not too much traffic. I have been instructing for 15yrs. I was thinking of picking up 2 172s and teaching out of there. They don't have to make alot of money just enough to pay for themsleves, and new engines when needed. I already do tailwheel endorsements for guys/gals who have thier own aircraft, and BFR's for the same type of clientele. What do ya think this type of small business could make a go? I got a real job, so it would be part-time. Is there enough interest at birchwood? Is the price of fuel going to kill this hobby? what do you guys think? should i try it?

Hmmm... I might be in in the near future. Shoot me a PM

Dave

What happened to O'Hare Aviation? They're gone?

Tim

heck...i'm interested...
    Johnny

Default Thanks!

Well keep the ideas coming. I'll come up with a business plan here slowly.
    Thanks!

Default what happened?

Why did every other flight school that has opened there closed down and what has changed? That's what I'd be trying to figure out. Good luck to ya. Hope it works.

Yeah I kind of agree with AK-Hunt. God knows there are plenty of student pilots in the pattern at Birchwood on a nice summer day, but I don't know if you would have enough business to stay busy. Let alone with two planes. Not trying to sound pessimistic, but you asked for opinions. Good luck.

Shane

Default Flight instruction

One main problems I see is rising cost. I got my license 4 years ago, and fuel was cheap, I was paying 65 dollars an hours for a old A model 172 wet and 26$ for an instructor. A 172 at aerotech is 120 wet and instruction is 42 according to there web site.

There seems to be a big need for tailwheel training, I would suggest a champ, t-craft or J-3 or PA-11. This would be a easy way to keep cost down(even get a autogas STC). I know my champ with full electric burned under four gallons a hour. Tailwheel endorsements and insurance checkouts are in big demand also.

Being alaska alot of individuals want off airport instruction, many with there own planes.

Some people use the old logic, I want my tailwheel training in a supercub, but with prices near 200 dollars an hour, people will say a cub or citabria will be just fine.

One promising point is that the bigger companies have been snatching up alot of the CFI's. I know several people looking for instructors with planes at this time.

I think you should pick a niche, get a reputation established, have fun and make some money.

Terry

If you can keep you rates at or under 100$ an hours for plane and 35$ for instruction, I think you can stay real busy.

Default thanks terry!

Terry, thats exactly what I was looking for! I agree the tailwheel endorsement does seem to be a big draw, and I have done plenty of that. Off airport training would be good too, just wondering about insurance, and got to find a way to keep it "predictable and safe" I'll have to start looking around for a descent PA-11. I think that is a good idea!