Thread: Loop Fly Reels?

Default Loop Fly Reels?

Anyone heard of them? Opinions?

they're extremely nice reels... if you're interested in one you should check out danielson reels. It's a long story but they're basically the same reel

Outstanding reels. I have a Danielsson HD 9/13 on my two hander. Danielsson at one time made the reels for Loop before they had a falling out. You won't be disappointed if you get one.

I was looking at Loops CLWs (composite reel) they are significantly cheaper - Thoughts on that?

I understand that they are great reels now but I field tested one of there first reels back in the early to mid 80's that literally came apart on the river. Like I said they got the bugs worked out now but wow I never thought I'd see pieces of reel flying in three different directions.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Quote Originally Posted by OneLunG View Post
    I was looking at Loops CLWs (composite reel) they are significantly cheaper - Thoughts on that?
    It's prolly great if you want a plastic reel..... I'd bet it would make for a really tip-heavy rig.

Seriously, take your rod into Brad's shop and see what balances out your rod the best and make your decision from there. Don't be afaid of upsizing to a 10 wt if it balances better...you'll just have more line capacity. IMO, balance is much more important than overall weight. Even the lightest flyrod on earth, if improperly balanced, will make your arm/wrist sore.

Oh yeah, get a versi-tip line too.

Default CLW

I had a CLW, the reel did not sit on my rod correctly. First five minutes of use I hooked at trout and my reel seat and reel separated, it went back. Buy the real reel and you wont be disappointed, I really like mine.

Ptarmigan,
    Thanks for coming by the booth last week end.

What do you mean by "Buy the real reel"?

George

Default Loop

If you are going to buy a Loop, buy a machined reel. Now that Loop has separated from Danielsson I think their prices went up. If I were to buy one or the other I would buy the Danielsson. Cost less and equal or greater quality and looks nearly identical. Very nice reels! Nice to meet you to George! I will be out your way this fall for sure.