Thread: to early for bears?

Default to early for bears?

...i am chompin at the bit to start lookin for griz...is this weekend too early to glass the mountains for bears hangin around den sites...around kings river, eska falls area?
    ...Jackie Bushman is a TOOL

2 bears threads posted in the last week...with pictures. Guess it depends on your area and how much glassin you want to do.

......Late April you can stalk griz up around Healy/Cantwell.......(starting...)(for those beautiful Toklats...it's worth it!!)

-Around our neck of the woods......(Kenai Peninsula)....we can always count on the 2nd week in May....(for black)
    -....You can't hurry Mother Nature........

-I'd say, w/o a draw permit.....just have patience until mid-May....where ever you want to look-

Default No sign of spring

Spring is going to be late over here unless Al Gore hurries global warming up. Snow last night, temps in the 20's this morning. Hills are still covered. I may peak out in the Valdez Arm on Sunday. But, looks like it is going to be late.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Another week or two should be good then. Unless we get more snow.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Grizz out

Fish and Game spotted a grizz north of Fairbanks on the Yukon Flats the other day while flying. They said it was digging something up. It was in the Fairbanks Daily newsminer yesterday. So who knows where you might find one. Although right now it's snowing like crazy here in Fairbanks. Expecting 3-6 inches in areas.

We are heading out early the 17th.

I've been flying with a friend for the last 3 weeks and we have yet to spot any tracks, dens or bears. I talked with a guide who knows a lot about bears, he told us that anything below 2700 feet might be out but the bears that den higher will be a few more weeks. I'll be looking again next week or until I find a den/bear/tracks.

Default Out

A friend of mine in Soldotna sent pix of two young brown bears frolicking along the Sterling highway just outside Soldotna on Wednesday...

Default depends

I've killed 2 brown bears around Dillingham (SW AK) I killed a 9 1/2 footer on April 6th and an 8 1/2 footer on April 13th. Down there that's about when the boars start poking out. More bears are taken after that though. If you are looking for a little more sign, you might want to wait a bit longer. Weather always makes a difference too. It's never too early to get out and look around though.

Heck we saw a blacky on March 27th around the wasilla/palmer area, this weather has em all screwed up, should prove to be an interesting spring

two bears have been killed on kodiak and a half dozen or so have been sighted its early early, every day will get better than yesterday....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Spotted one on 3/13 fresh from the hole.

One of my employees has been flying the west side of the Talkeetnas between Talkeetna and Willow and hasn't spotted a thing yet.

Default They're Heeeerrrrreeee!!!

April 11th: this morning I'm going down my driveway on the way to work, and crossing a bridge I notice suspicious tracks in the dry river bottem: brownie! I sure wasn't expecting that...not with all this snow still around.
    With the current 3 feet or so level of snow, where are they going to find food? (YOUR garbage can?...)
    What are they doing out of hibernation, so early on? Beats me...

From the track size, appears to be about 400-500 lbs...2-3 yr old maybe. Went down the creekbed, then turned around just below my place, and came back upstream...sometime last night, or maybe yesterday...

Marshall
    7 miles north of Seward, Ak

Default Hell yes

I'm ready to lay the smack down on one......or maybe the other way around.
    ...Jackie Bushman is a TOOL