Thread: Winchester Ballistic Silvertip

Default Winchester Ballistic Silvertip

I have been given a couple of boxes of he winchester ballistic silvertip for my 300 win mag. Was wondering if anyone has used these bullets and if they are a good bullet to use on black bear and mountain goat.

Eric

I don't have a 300 winmag, but my experience with Ballistic Silvertips this last fall on caribou was not good. They are not a bonded bullet, and I found them to be too fragile.
    On one shot, I hit the spine at about 125 yards, and the bullet just exploded. Did not break bone. The fragments hit its heart/lung and killed it.
    On another animal, at about the same range, I hit the high on the front leg and shattered it, but the bullet did not go through. I chased it down and got it.
    Now I will accept some chastisement for substandard marksmanship, but a bullet needs to be tougher than that in my opinion. A caribou is not that tough.
    There may be a reason you were given the ammo .
    I would use it to get the rifle "on paper" at the range if necessary, then look for some Nosler Partition, Accubond, etc.

I have killed just about everything in Alaska (except griz) with them (in .300 wm) I like 'em.

For really big bears or other dangerous game I'd use bonded.

I myself am not a big fan of of Winchester rifle ammunition in general. I shot a small black bear with their standard 180gr power point at about 70 yards with my 300 wsm, and experienced complete jacket separation. I recoverd the jacket, and their was not a bit of lead left in it. The bear did drop on the spot, but I was still not impressed with the lack of penetration.
    I was also doing some plinking with my .223, and misfired 7 out of a box of 50 winchester rounds with dented primers, but no bang. I had shot hundreds of rounds of Ultramax out of the gun prior to this. I tried to contact winchester, had to deal with them by snail mail, and sent the misfired rounds back in. I told them my sidelock muzzleloader in the rain was more reliable then their ammo. Could not reason with them on the phone. Then about three letters and responses later, they determined that the cause of the misfires was a "week firing pin". Never mind the hundreds of flawless rounds previous and since. Eventually they sent me a Winchester Ammo coupon for ten bucks. Better than a sharp stick in the eye I guess. Come to think of it, that was why I had the powerpoints in the first place. I now stick to bonded bullets. I have had great luck with nosler accubonds, hornady interbonds, and Swift A-frames. I am still loyal to their AA's for shotguns, but won't touch any winchester rifle or pistol ammo.

If they're 180's, I'd use them for either one. Just put it in the boiler room and they'll drop right where you shoot'm.

Interesting. Sounds like some guys have had good luck with them, some not. It could be that the larger Silvertips going a little slower work better.
    The 25wssm I have advertises 3100something FPS in a 115 gr bullet. It could be that on a 200+ yard hit the bullet would expand properly.

Default Great Bullet

I have shot everything with them in a 338, and they have all dropped in their tracks with one shot, including Griz
    I like them.
    I use them in the 300wsm as well, good results.

My choice of ammo for my .300WM is the Winchester Supreme CXP3's in 180g, all the moose I've shot with those drop dead when hit.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Quote Originally Posted by MARV1 View Post
    My choice of ammo for my .300WM is the Winchester Supreme CXP3's in 180g, all the moose I've shot with those drop dead when hit.
    Yep, same here. Every animal I have shot has dropped immediately--deer, sheep, moose and bou.

It's great factory ammo, IMHO.

Those bullets and the regular ballistic work well for some folks. I like the
    fact that they have a solid base and leaves at least a little mass if they come apart. I used the old 60 grain solid based bulllets for deer and have used and seen used the 180 ballistic tips on deer and caribou and sheep.

I like monometal bullets for hunting as I feel they do not bloodshot meat hardly at all. I would use the ballistic tips for target practice and get a box of Barnes TTSX for the 300WM. The money you saved on the ballistic tips you get a box of GS bullets. That is what I got in my 30-06.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".