Thread: Need Advice

Default Need Advice

I'm not sure what to buy, I want a raft/kayak that will allow me to pack out a moose and do allot of fishing. I only have about 2,000 to spend, so I understand my options are somewhat limited. It would also be great if I could get my wife and two small kids out on the water with me. I was looking at the Alpacka rafts, Brian organized a great group buy. I figured if I bought two of the Alpackas I could tow the other raft with the meat and gear. How feasible is this and are there better options out there for the price.
    Thanks

Sent you a PM with a diffrent idea.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

You should be able to find a good 13-14' inflatable raft that would be feasible for the activities you've described. Check out Jim King rafts at www.alaskaseries.com. You may be able to find something close to your budget. The two pack rafts is also a good idea; however, I wouldn't count on being able to get a moose floated out that way.

Good Luck
    www.matsuexpeditions.com - Alaskan Wilderness Fishing & Rafting

Towing a raft (or any boat) down a river with paddles or oars is almost always a recipe for disaster. And if you load down the towed boat it only get worse. Invariably the towed boat will try to pass your craft every few minutes, get along side, and conflict with your paddling/rowing. I speak from bad experience.

Alpackas are great boats, but not designed for hauling meat, a lot of gear or passengers.

I agree with TimK. Look for a 13-14' raft -- or a used boat. Several of them have come up on Craig's List recently for under $1500. I bought a 14 self bailing Aire with frame & oars for $1500, and I've seen better deals since.

Default Trib AIRE

You might also consider the AIRE Trib series of boats Sportsmans use to carry them Alaska Raft and Kayak currently has them. Normal Show Specials are very good deals if you call Mark and or Tracy and see if they are still dealing with Show Special you just might find you can get into a boat, TM Frame and set of oars at a very reasonable price with a 10 year warranty to boot.

Just food for thought.

Best of luck in your choice!

Blue Moose

Default 13' Sportsman is just under $1620

Quote Originally Posted by TimK View Post
    You should be able to find a good 13-14' inflatable raft that would be feasible for the activities you've described. Check out Jim King rafts at www.alaskaseries.com. You may be able to find something close to your budget. The two pack rafts is also a good idea; however, I wouldn't count on being able to get a moose floated out that way.

Good Luck
    It sounds like my 390TDS 13' sportsman model would fit your needs.

I sent you a private email with more details.

http://www.alaskaseries.com/390T%20w...ch%20floor.htm

Good Boating

Jim King
    Alaska Series Inflatable Boats,
    The Toughest Bottoms in the Business,
    River Rafts, Catarafts, Inflatable Kayaks,
    Inflatable Canoes, Inflatable Sport Boats,
    Inflatable Jet Boats, Tenders and Dinghies.
    WWW.alaskaseries.com
    (907)248-2900

Default AIRE Tributary

The Tributary might fit the bill, but it's gonna cost you a little more than 2K. Just the boat itself, direct from AIRE, sells for $2299. Add a frame and accessories (life jackets, oars, straps, etc) and you're looking at something closer to 3K if you pay full retail plus shipping. You might find a show special this time of year for a little less money. If I hear of something I'll post it here. Meanwhile, call Blue Moose Rafting in Fairbanks, or Alaska Raft and Kayak for the lowdown on the Tributary. FYI, the boat Moose mentioned is a thirteen-footer.

The Tributary carries a five-year limited warranty.

If it were me, I would not go with anything less than 14' if you're planning on moose hunting at all. For that size of boat, you're better off looking at the used market, as a new 14-footer will cost you three grand just for the boat. Check the swap and sell here on this website, or Craig's List. This is a very common size, and there is always something out there.

Don't get too itchy to buy right away. Have someone who knows what they're looking at assist you with a used boat purchase, or you could end up with a real lemon.

Best regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Smile

I would not recommend alpacas for your needs. Family and kids on a river in such a small and unstable craft would not be a good idea. And packing out a moose would be difficult or impossible. Alpacas are cool. They are great for one person adventure rafting, riding whitewater, or taking your kid on a quiet lake. But they dont pack a load like a camp or a moose and arent safe for kids on a river. Get an alpaca for your exploring and a big safe raft for moose hunting and your family. good luck!
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Thought I just saw a 14' in the Swap and Shop section, had pics and looked like it had been broke in right!

Default raft

hey bljames, sure that wasn't a 15'er? lol... one under my name?

btw all windswept went with a alaska series raft, not a bad choice... hope we see ya out on the water soon...

Default Alaska Series Raft

Thanks for all the replies,I ended up purchasing a raft from Alaska Series, the owner Jim King seems like a really stand up guy.
    Thanks again,
    Don