Thread: honda fourtrax 300 4x4

Default honda fourtrax 300 4x4

Does anyone know why Honda stopped making their fourtrax 300 4x4? It was very rugged, simple to work on, light weight, very versatile, and also fairly low priced compared to some of the monsters out there today. I wish that they still made it or at least an equivalent sized 4x4 four wheeler.

Thumbs up Honda

Sometimes I think they stop making the good ones because they last to long!

I still have my 1988 Honda 350D Foreman.

Good question with a winch and good tires I don't think that there is a better rig for a solo hunt. I wouldn't take any new rig into the woods without a winch but the little 300 can be ghosted through most any mud hole, plus if you do get stuck you can actually LIFT the darn thing!

Because in a lot of peoples minds.....bigger is better. Honestly, I don't know why they stopped making it either. I wish they would make them with a locker, then I would buy one in a heartbeat!

Good points....Does any body know if Honda, or any other maker for that matter is making or has plans to make anything that is equivalent to the 4x4 300? I haven't seen anything out there on the market that I would rather have than my old Honda 300. I love the thing.

Default YEP

The 300 was a great little machine. BUT, in todays bigger is better world it went by the wayside and was replaced by the 500 and 600 cc machines.
    Honda builds what is in vogue and sells, not actually what the customer wants.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    The 300 was a great little machine. BUT, in todays bigger is better world it went by the wayside and was replaced by the 500 and 600 cc machines.
    Honda builds what is in vogue and sells, not actually what the customer wants.
    Wrong answer! There isn't a machine out there that could replace the best little 4 wheeler ever built.

Default Maybe so

My wife and In used a 1987 or '88 300 4-Trax for set netting for commercial fishing year after year. We pulled loaded carts of fish to a tender, and for pulling out and in 150' nets in a strong current. It never balked once (though sometimes it would bury itself up to the axles in gravel). It was a good machine, and though it burned oil toward the last when I sold it, it refused to die. I later replaced the Honda with a Yamaha 300 something, and a Polaris Sportsman 300 something. Both were lackluster machines.

I now have an old Suzuki King Quad, and it seems to have as much power as the 4-Trax, as well as having a dif-lock and lower gearing. But I don't think it is anything near as reliable as the Honda. The plastic on the Honda was way better too.

A Honda 300 with a dif-lock would be an unstoppable machine.

As long as we're getting nostalgic how about the TRX 200. If it weren't for stream crossing it would be unstoppable that was an amazing little machine. Going across swamps it barely left a mark. No need for a winch just step off and give it a little push and away you go. Heavier is not always better.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Default don't know

All good things must come to an end....
    My honda runs great....... and it's a 91.... I think......

reuben

Default Honda

Hey just so you know before I moved here last year I bought a Honda TRX 350 4X4 and it is the bomb. The only thing I wish is that it would switch between 2 and 4 wheel drive. That would make it a little more fun to drive, but this things gets me everywhere I need to go and a lot of places my buddies with bigger machines cannot get to. I know I have been to the Outpost here a few times and it seems all the machines there start at the 450 and they are a few $$$$$ more than what they are in the lower 48. I was just lucky and had a boss that told me what to get (small machine) before I came here so I would not pay the mark up in it buying it here.

So if you want something like your 300 look for the TRX 350 4X4. Mine is manual shift and can go anywhere any other machine can.

Greg

I think the Rancher 350 4x4 (TRX350 4x4) Is probably the closest thing to the old 300 4x4, but sadly Honda even discontinued the Rancher 350. They now offer a Rancher 420 EFI which has even less ground clearance than the 350. I rode Pinochle several times last summer (8 or 9 times) with a Honda 300 and our Rancher 350 manual was pretty close, although the 300 was lighter, went everywhere we did and used a bit less gas. Other than that they are/were pretty similar. It would be nice to disengage 4x4 and have a diff locker though. I think being able to disengage 4x4 could help these machines use even less fuel.

Could always add the Warn 424 and a DGL locker. Bought my wife a 91' 300 4x4 a couple years ago that was hibernating in the original owners garage.Best possible bike i could have found for her.Been looking for a nice one for a long time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Nice

Hey that is a nice looking ride. Almost looks new. The only thing I wish mine had besides 2 and 4 wheel drive modes is independant suspension. I rode a buddies Honda 450 with Independant susp and it was nice, but it was much bigger and harder to get around the tight trails..So I will keep mine. My son has the same 350 but only 2 wheel drive and so we will see how that does this summer. He and my daughter just moved up here with me and she has the 250 Honda 2 wheel drive, but I think for what we will be doing as a family they will do just fine.

I wish that my 92 4trax look new like that. It has hauled dead animals, plowed snow, climbed hills & floated across rivers for a long time. Easy to work on & dependable! Plus ATV Salvage still has parts for them, called today.

Smile Luv my lil mule

Bought new from Honda on 5th ave July '95.

Worked for a transport company that had the ANMC airport contract.

Did not take long to figure out 4-wheeler chat was a great ice breaker with our clients. Overwhelmingly folks would mention the honda fourtrax. Always starts, floats, hauls 6 kids etc..

Great advise from folks that lived where a 4-wheeler could be life or death, food or no food or just plain unhappy children.

small800x600atv.JPG

Junkak, are you guys hunting UFO's?

Great looking machine. I noticed your tires are on backwards, any particular reason? Maybe the rights just need to be switched to the left and lefts need to be switched to the right.

Quote Originally Posted by cwoods View Post
    Could always add the Warn 424 and a DGL locker. Bought my wife a 91' 300 4x4 a couple years ago that was hibernating in the original owners garage.Best possible bike i could have found for her.Been looking for a nice one for a long time.

Talking

good eye... He (previous owner)had oversized tires put on in 91' after he bought it on off set steel rims.wheni bought it from him he wanted to sell it to me for another 200 dollars with the tires and rims which I declined so he put the unused stockers back on before I picked it up and I didnt have the heart to point out he put em' on tread backwards.
    no biggie,I bought 25" ITP 589's for it as soon as I got er' home..

Default 300 Honda 4x4

I suppose they sold so many Honda 300 TRX 4x4 they couldn't make money because they lasted so long. It's just like the 35 Evinrude was so reliable a few years back they discontinued and started making the 40 hp and it was junk. You would think they have such a reliable machine they could sell so many millions because people were satisified, but in this Jew run, liberal world who knows?