Thread: Best time for Kenai kings?

Default Best time for Kenai kings?

I went last year sometime in late may. The fishing was slow at best. i was planning on booking another trip. What do you guys consider the best dates for king fishing. Im not looking for meat just a bunch of fish to catch.

Default Best time for the Kenai..

Last two weeks of July are a sure bet... Third week in June also can be good. With a strong early and late run from the Middle of June through the end of July is good.

With the forcast of 3.1 M sockeye for this year the fishing is likely to be slower in July as it was this past year.

The Kenai is not known for bunches of fish to catch. You might consider a different river (ie. the Nushigak) You could go later and fish the Kenai for silvers, but they are generally in large numbers after kings close.

I will echo moose-head's post.... the Kenai is NOT a "buncha fish" kinda fishery when you are talking about King salmon; it's a BIG FISH kinda fishery. If you want a buncha fish, then you need to look elsewhere for kings, or wait until mid/late July and fish sockeye. Good luck.
    MW
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Check out this link for the daily escapement numbers of kings in the kenai (or many other rivers) at the Alaska Department of Fish and Game Website. Daily and cumulative counts are avaliable all the way back to 1987 on the Kenai for Kings

http://http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.u...L/qResults.cfm

good luck
    Attached Images Attached Images

thanks guys, maybe i will look into other rivers, The only reason i was looking into kenai was the resort i work for give discounts.