Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 220 Swift poor groupings

Default 220 Swift poor groupings

Hey Guys,

I just bought a 220 swift (Ruger #1). It looks real good and the rifling looks good, but it was not shooting to great. I was shooting Hornady 55 gr. V-max moly ammo, and at 100 yards the groupings were about 2 inches. I put a Tasco scope on it that I had at the house - that I trust. I was shooting with a good rest. Should I try different ammo? Heavier or lighter bullets? Any thoughts on this? Is the 220 swift finicky? I am hoping that this thing is just picky about ammo because it is fun to shoot.
    Thanks for any insight you may have.

Clean the barrel. It's probably copper fouled. To answer your question about swifts, they can be a tough nut to crack for accuracy. Because they are a low recoil rifle ctg. They tend to get shot a lot. They copper foul fast. A copper fouled barrel will not shoot vary well.

I don't even own one in my collection of model 70's, as I've never found one with a good bore.

That the above will be just the start of the process of elimination of possible reasons it's not doing better than 2" groups. The list is long for possible reasons.

If you do get the barre; clean and it does not do better, you might want to a good gunsmith and have it completely gone over.

The number 1 Ruger has some inherent problems all it's own, that can give you accuracy problems. It's one rifle that need some one with knowlaege of the quark's and cures of the number 1. Forearms are one of the major culprits.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Sounds like a fun spring project. I don't know what you have already done other than inspect the rifling and mount a Tasco scope on it. So, as a simple starting baseline I'd do the following and see what happens before getting too complicated:

1. Clean the bore really well...then clean it again. Put some time into it. Check the archives on this forum about various bore cleaning ideas, procedures, products, etc. I think cleaning will be the single most helpful action you can take to improve accuracy, but do it right. Improper cleaning procedures can damage a rifle.

2. Make sure everything that can be tightened is snug.

3. Try some different bullet weights. You're doing 55's now, so I'd drop down.

You'll get other ideas as well. Good luck and stick with it!

Default Ammo

Unless your Swift is different twist than standard it has a 1-14" and isn't designed for bullets as long as the A-MAX poly tipped bullets. The original Swift loadings were with a flat based 48 grn bullet at high velocity. The longest bullet I've been able to shoot out of any of my Swifts is the Sierra 52 grn BTHP, it would shoot about 3/8" when I did my part.
    Choose a shorter bullet and see if you don't get an improvement.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

...I didn't see those previous posts...they came in while I was typing my response and drinking morning coffee. Sorry to be redundant. Good ideas guys.

YA GOTTA BE QUICK DOC!! Hint:don't try drinking coffee and snagging a good deal on the classifieds. Missed a heck of a deal on a scope just by nukein' my cold coffee!

til later

Default 220 Swift accuracy helpers

Thanks for all the tips guys. I will really put some elbow grease into cleaning the barrel and check the screws. I will also try the lower grain bullets and go from there.
    Everytime I ask a question on this site I get some good responses. Thanks to everyone that tries to help someone out.
    Andy

Default Suggestion

Try one of the suggestions at a time to see which if any causes the problem to improve. That way in the future you can diagnose simular problems in other rifles.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Big Stick

A 1-14" Swift will stabilize ALL polymer tipped 55's(indicative of round holes in the target).

What has yet to be mentioned and likely is the culprit,is the Number One's tempermental fore end hanger.

That assuming the scope and rings are sound(I'm dubious)......................

Default 220 Swift

Hey Snag;
    I was shooting the 55 grain speer BTHP into a thumbtack that held my target at 200 yards, just to warm up. That was Ruger M77 MKII Heavy Barrel Varmint... 6 1/2 to 20 power Burris sitting on it.
    Always hand loads, that one ( **** never shoulda sold it ) never knew there was factory ammunition.
    Don't load all the way up. Stay mediocre.

Put a real scope on it.

Angry 220 Swift still not shooting good

Well guys, I tightened the screws and really cleaned the barrel. Groupings really didn't change with same ammo. Dropped down to 40 grain bullets - groupings got a little better but still nearly 2 inches. Put a rubber washer around the forearm screw to shim it out so the end of the forearm was not touching the barrel - no change in groupings. Going to put a Burris scope on it and try again. If this doesn't work the previous owner may need to have something removed from his backside.

Dont be to harsh on who sold you the rifle just yet.

First, you mentioned you cleaned the rifle, but did you use a solvent that removes copper fouling? Regular brushing will not remove it very well.

Second, the rubber washer you tried is useless and will most likely only compound your problems. It will slowly compress causing the screw pressure to lessen. Not only will this change your accuracy but it will also change the rifles point of impact.

I would use a good copper removing solvent till the patches came out clean. Remove the rubber washer and tighten down each screw with firm pressure. If your action has a middle screw only tighten it enough so it is snug. If this doesnt change anything I would then make sure the barrel is free floated. After this I would switch out the scope before doing anything drastic.

Good luck
    Tennessee

Default OK - cooled down over the Swift

Snowwolfe,

I used some Hoppes that is supposed to remove copper, but maybe I need to look at some different kinds and clean some more. I will take the rubber washer out and kind of start over. I was beginning to think the problem was the operator, so I got out the heavy barrelled 243 and shot a really tight group.
    Back to the drawing board......

Default One loading I used in my 220

Hey Snag;
    Just checked my log on the 220 I had.
    One of my recipes probably from published rather than worked up:
    Case: WW Primer Fed 210 Powder BLC-2 @ 37.5 Gr. Nosler Ballistic tip 50 grain
    I did not make any performance notes, but it does say max load so if I write that down it might be best to sneak up on it.
    Also, I clean and trim all cases, if I use a crimp I am very careful to just set as much as it needs. in the case of a single shot just make sure the bullets are snug enough not to be disturbed in handling. Usually no crimp. I was .005 or less off the lands on seating.
    I expect it was on par with everything else I was launching. I have had good luck with Ruger. I also really liked the swift and if you bail on it, drop a line and I might take up the battle.....
    Good luck with your Swift!
    Mark

Default Thanks for the info.

Snowshooze,

Thanks for the reloading info. I have just been shooting factory loads, but will buy a set of dies if I can get it shooting reasonably well.

Thanks again,
    Andy

Default Dies

Hey Andy;
    Borrow mine if you want.
    I never shot store ammo in mine...no faith in it.
    Mark

Default dies

Snowshooze, I really appreciate the offer, but I am actually down here in Indiana. Besides I would probably find a way to break them as something always seems to happen to borrowed stuff. I haven't had time to shoot it for the last few days. I think I may wait until I can get the stuff the free float the barrel.
    Thanks,
    Andy

Default slow it down some

I know that you can really make the 220 Swift scream, but you might want to slow it down a little bit. Some times they donít shoot as good when they are screaming as fast as you can get them to go. I havenít had one, but my buddies liked the 55gr slowed down a bit. I can find the load data for the load that shot good for him if you would like. just pm me and I will look it up in my notebook. It took me a little while to get one right for his rifle as well, but when we found it, man it really was a shooter. The 220 Swift is going to be one of my future projects. It is a fun one.

Whit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast