Denby S. Lloyd, Commissioner

DIVISION OF SPORT FISH
    Charles O. Swanton, Director

Regional Management Coordinator
    (907) 747-5551

April 8, 2008

SOUTHEAST ALASKA KING SALMON SPORT FISHING REGULATIONS FOR 2008

Juneau-
    The Alaska Department of Fish and Game is announcing today the 2008 sport fishing bag and possession limits for king salmon in Southeast Alaska and Yakutat which will become effective 12:01 A.M. April 9, 2008. The regulations are:

- The bag and possession limit for king salmon is 1 fish 20 inches or greater in length for all anglers.

- Nonresident harvest limit:
    * From January 1 through June 30, a nonresident's harvest limit is three king salmon, 28 inches or greater in length;
    * From July 1 through July 15, a nonresident's harvest limit is two king salmon, 28 inches or greater in length, and any king salmon 28 inches or greater in length harvested by the nonresident from January 1 through June 30 will apply toward the two fish harvest limit;
    * From July 16 through December 31, a nonresident's harvest limit is one king salmon, 28 inches or greater in length, and any king salmon 28 inches or greater in length harvested by the nonresident from January 1 through July 15 will apply toward the one fish harvest limit;
    * Nonresident anglers must record all king salmon harvested, in ink, either on the back of their sport fishing license, or on a nontransferable harvest record immediately.
    - From May 1 through June 30 the maximum number of lines that may be fished from a charter vessel engaged in sport fishing charter activities is four lines;

- From August 1 through September 30, the retention of king salmon less than 48 inches in length is prohibited by resident and nonresident anglers, except that from August 15 through August 25, an angler is allowed a bag and possession limit of one king salmon 28 inches or greater in length, in the following areas (see map): [Editor's Note: Map omitted due to illegible graphic.]
    * Lynn Canal north of a line from Point Couverden to Point Lizard Head to a line from Point Bridget to Point Whidby;
    * Taku Inlet west of a line from Cooper Point to Greely Point;
    * Stephens Passage north of a line from Gwen Point to Point Styleman.

THAT HURTS!

THANK YOU CALIFORNIA!!!!

Lets hear it for cheap electricity, farming and striped bass!
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Is this right?

For residents: Only 1 king over 20 inches per day with no yearly retention limit?
    It was 28 inches last year right? Wonder why the change in size restriction.

That's a typo... it's still 28 inches everywhere a measurement is stated, except note the 8/1-9/30 "closure" for anything less than 48"...

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    THANK YOU CALIFORNIA!!!!

Lets hear it for cheap electricity, farming and striped bass!
    This has nothing to do with the way we (CA) have screwed up the Salmon runs and allot to do with the commercial fishing interests in AK. Iím not being protective of my home state either, the California DFG has done all CA sport fishermen a disservice by not shutting down the commercial Salmon fishing as they should have done 5 years ago.

Now back to the new regís in the Southeast, letís face it three things run the state of Alaska. Commercial fishing, oil, and tourism! There is no way sport and subsistence fishing is responsible for the low returns of King Salmon in the Southeast. The commercial catch numbers in the millions. This was the same argument used to try and limit the sport caught Halibut. Iíve watched commercial long liners in Monti Bay out of Yakutat catch Halibut by the hundreds and not chickens either, big breeders. Iíve also watch commercial boat after boat unload ton after ton.

Here is one truism, when the sport fishing is gone so are allot tourists. I like many others come to Alaska to catch fish! If I just wanted to go fishing I would stay in CA, there arenít many fish but Iíd still be fishing. My self and many others spend many hundreds of thousands of hard earned dollars to go to Alaska and catch fish. Do I bring fish home, sure. Is it necessary, no!!! The fish I bring back from Alaska costs me at least $30/pound if not more.

So hereís the net net, if commercial fishing isnít managed much better in Alaska than it has been in CA, Alaska will share the same fate in the long run.

I set out to give you my two cents worth and it wound up being a quarters worth, what the heck, you got 23 cents for free!!

TL

Question

Have you guys that fish down there noticed a drop off in your salmon catches in recent years?

Well - I for one think DFG here is very good at managing most of our resources. They cut the commercial limit in half for kings this year as well (In SE AK)

Could someone please post a direct link to this news? I'm concerned that I'm not looking in the right place for this kind of info...

Thanks

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/state.../nr.cfm?id=912

I kept looking here before it was posted. OneLung and CanCan must have an additional source....

Also, this doesn't mention the terminal harvest areas. Does this EO apply to that as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Tight Lines View Post
    This has nothing to do with the way we (CA) have screwed up the Salmon runs and allot to do with the commercial fishing interests in AK. Iím not being protective of my home state either, the California DFG has done all CA sport fishermen a disservice by not shutting down the commercial Salmon fishing as they should have done 5 years ago.
    As a kid I lived in Northern California and fished the Klammath and Smith rivers for salmon. There is a big differance between the management of AK salmon stock and CA salmon stock. When CA attempted to shut down the Klammath fishery, some folks down there started shooting at passing tourists and demanded the river be reopened. There is no more commericial fishing fleet in northern CA.

The differance between CA and AK is I think all Alaskans are more in tune with the condition of the fishery and if it has to be shut down, so be it, although there maybe a little grumbling is the commericial guys are still allowed to fish.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by moose-head View Post
    Have you guys that fish down there noticed a drop off in your salmon catches in recent years?
    No, not really, kind of goes in cycles, 2000 was a tough king year, 2001 and 02 were awesome king years and its been pretty "typical" years since. I fish the westside of P.O.W. Is.

I thought last year was a decent year - Aside from the Coho run not being nearly as strong as past years...

Yea it's dissapointing. However, it may actually be a good fishery management decision to let the King stocks rebound for a year. Better to be more pro-active then end up with a complete closure like we are seeing in CA & OR ocean waters. Better to error on the side of conservation.

Question

I think the 4 rods sportfishing as a charter captain is the tough pill to swallow here! Aug 1- Sept 30 >48" is a dare! Plenty of time while catching Silvers to beat a 4 foot King! I wonder how the guided resident limit is being treated... as a resident or nonresident? They usually group guided residents with the nonresident regs. The 4 rod thing for charterboats should have been sent out seperate if it applies to all fisheries; yet how do you prove jigging darts for Lings isn't salmon fishing... I'm still a little confused. I'm betting it's 4 rods guided reguardless of species...2/3 the Dog Fish to deal with takes the sting out of it. Good Luck!!!

Quote Originally Posted by moose-head View Post
    I can't speak for salmon, but I do know the Tuna and Blue Fin have fallen considerably due to the Japanese using purse seiners
    We see those jerks out and about by the droves, including a bunch of spotter planes and copters. They come in as close as legally possible.

So in my opinion, it's the commercial end of things that needs to be closer regulated, NOT THE SPORT FISHER!!!

BTW Tight Lines, Excellent post!
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 04-09-2008 at 16:16. Reason: Corrected spelling

May I request this thread be moved to fisheries management?

This will be murder for the charter industry in SE. They have us down to 1 halibut already this year. Small charter outfits will lose much business over this, and local economies in SE AK will suffer. Not to mention that trollers are cut in half, further hurting the economies. The Pollock Draggers in the Bering killed 130k kings as bycatch this year. This is an outrage!

As sucky as it is I'm glad they're doing it - If they didnt, things would just be worse next year, and the year after, and after that....

Quote Originally Posted by OneLunG View Post
    As sucky as it is I'm glad they're doing it - If they didnt, things would just be worse next year, and the year after, and after that....
    Onelung,

With all due respect, (I don't need another warning) the Fish and Game is just guessing here.. You may not make your living from fish, but many people in SE do.

This is what the problem will be:

People are still going to catch kings.. And due to less retention, lots of kings will be around. It will be good king fishing in SE all season. But, as anybody who fishes plenty knows, kings don't release very well in the saltwater, particularly fish caught on herring. Charter boats and trollers will be catching them, and many of them will die. They will be wasted. The last time fish and game pulled this stunt (5 years ago?) trollers were releasing 50ish kings a day while coho fishing.

In an effort to fill fish boxes, rock fish will be targeted like never before. As well as trophy halibut.. Lingcod.. It's not a good situation.

Well, what should they do then? Just completely nix out the commercial boys altogether?

I propose a 50-50 split.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast