Thread: bear hunting in hope

Default bear hunting in hope

I was wondering if anyone has ever hunted for black bear in Hope and if so is it worth it. I am planing to try the area this year and have no idea where to start. i was just going to pull on the side of the road and start hiking. If anyone has any suggestions it would help out alot. Thanks alot and happy hunting.

Most areas on the road side of Sixmile are quite a ways from tree line, and even with the extensive thinning operations along the road hiking up through that dead old growth is no picnic. Res Pass trail is pretty similar, but there are a few openings starting around Caribou Creek. Palmer Creek Road has good access, but is hit awful hard by bear hunters, and the road is usually blocked by debris until early June.

One good thing about all the hunters on palmer creek road on the way to the mine, is that 90% refuse to get off the road to hunt. The hills are steep and I spent many a day going up and down them. Brush is thick, but I found quite a few easy routes at various areas. its doable and there are some nice bears. From what I can tell it depends on the previous falls berry growth on how many bears you will see (and that stick around).

Joe, get out a topo map and follow along. The Resurrection Creek trailhead is a few miles south of Hope (on the gravel road that goes past the airstrip). The trail begins with a footbridge crossing of Resurrection Creek, you are now on the west side of the Creek. It's a good sized stream that is generally not passable in hipboots this far downriver, so the bridge is a good thing. Heading south on the trail you will pass the mouths of several feeder streams, seems like there is a canyon mouth and a drainage feeding into Resurrection Creek every couple miles i.e. Bedrock Creek, Rimrock Creek, Gold Gulch, Wolf Creek, Cannonball Creek - you get the picture. Nearly all of these creeks have old horse trails leading up them 'til you get above treeline. Some go clear on over into Big Indian Creek. There is nice open country on top and lots of the bears that range clear on out into Swanson Lakes and the Refuge den in the mountains around the two Indian Creeks and the Chickaloon River watersheds.

Anchorage is in the banana belt. You will think the whole world is snowfree and ready for you to explore around in by May 10th. Pretty much every year there will still be lots of snow in the mountains on the Kenai Peninsula at that date. The Hope area sort of shares Anchorage's early break up because of the proximity to salt water and many of the slopes will be open early. Even so, many black bears will still be curled up underground waiting until the food supply in the mountains where they den is ready to feed them.
    There is water everywhere in the spring so you can take a lightweight tent and sleeping bag and camp on top by a waterhole or snowmelt trickle and glass. By May 20th most of the males are out and ranging around up high.

Tommy

...HI!....I just have a question.....WHY HOPE??.......The area is uindated and notorious with brown bear.........

--Boy, we could sure use the favor to be relieved of some of these black bear here, near Seward!.....pm me, if you want...

Default huntress

How about e-mailing me a couple of idea;s of where to hunt near seward .Having trouble posting
    RRobship@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by aksheephuntress View Post
    ...HI!....I just have a question.....WHY HOPE??.......The area is uindated and notorious with brown bear.........

--Boy, we could sure use the favor to be relieved of some of these black bear here, near Seward!.....pm me, if you want...

If you want them gone that bad I'd be more than happy to give it a try, PM me!

Jon

I hunted hope for 9 years and I have taken a bear from hope along with several of my friends. You will have to weed through the smaller bears until you find one you like. As for a grizllies there I have seen there here and there. At times you will find allot of people there. You will see allot of bears if you put your time in and hunt on the south facing moutains.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Bear Baiting

Places to bait for those that can find a good spot. Or too close to roads/residence?

There are allot of people that bait there and also there are allot of cabins back there.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Ive never seen a bear there. Do you guys just go up that road that goes through that valley? I always hear there are bears up in there but after trying a few years now, Im a skeptic. Looks like it would be a good area though. Saw a NICE bull with 4 cows there last year. Too bad it was closed

No, Just find an area that has no cabins and where I can pull over and walk through the woods. Also I will glass the hill side across 6 mile creek and find bears there feeding.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

One year the wife and I did a drive to hope and just going in on the palmer road we seen 17 bears. Some were so high up and across the valley that there was no way we could get to them. Go figure that day I did not bring a rifle, it was supposed to be just a sunday afternoon drive. Oh well, it was cool seeing the bears. It was fall time and it was a good berry year.

Theres bears in there, just gotta look harder.

Cool Palmer Creek Road

Lotsa game back that way.
    I've seen caribou, moose, sheep and a monster black bear.
    All within the same weekend.

Trouble is -- it's rugged, it's Alaska.
    I know I've worked my tail off getting to where the critter was, or where I thought it was headed, or any other number of excuses - and well, found nothing but great Alaskan real-estate.

I'm not sure when the state opens the gate to the road... I know it is somewhere around Memorial Day -- might even be that.

Nothing, else, great place for a drive, some glassing, and a good brisk hike.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie...,0.160675&z=13

Smile Shot my first blackbear in Hope

I've explored that corner of AK quite a bit because of it's geographical closeness to home. I've been up and down those mountains and have seen plenty of bears. I have also seen sheep, 'bou, griz, and moose. Plan to hike up... and up some more if you want to get away from all the road hunters. If you go on a weekend, you'll see plenty of people out looking for the same bears; if you go on a weekday, it's just you and the outdoors. Don't spread the word, but it's worth the extra weight to pack in a light rod and spinners . ...plenty of birds to boot!

Enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images