Thread: H&R died today.

Default H&R died today.

Remington Closes H&R Plant — 200 Jobs Lost.

Filed under: News — Editor @ 12 am
    The Harrington & Richardson plant in Gardner, MA is the latest victim in the series of consolidations in the firearms industry. Remington announced on April 7, 2008 that it would close the H&R 1871 facility in Gardner, and all plant operations would be shut down by the end of the year.
    Remington Arms, part of the Cerberus family of companies, acquired Marlin Firearms earlier this year. The Marlin deal also included H&R 1871 Inc., which was purchased by Marlin in 2000. H&R operated as New England Firearms. With its line of Harrington & Richardson rifles, and L.C. Smith shotguns, H&R 1871 was the leading seller of single-shot rifles and shotguns in the world.

Remington’s official press release states: “Unfortunately, an estimated 200 Gardner employees will be impacted by the closure, which is expected to be completed by the end of 2008. A number of employees will transition from Gardner to other capacities within the Company. For those not transferred, the Company will be offering severance, outplacement, and referral services in order to assist in this difficult transition.”
    Gardner, Massachusetts Mayor Mark Hawke criticized the plant closure, saying that local officials were blind-sided by the move. He stated that Remington never contacted state or local officials prior to announcing its decision to close the Gardner factory.

From accurateshooter.com
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

That is unfortunate………… how can they not be profitable? They must have sold millions of those single shot rifles and shotguns. Is there anybody on this forum that hasn’t owned one at one time or another? I think I got at least two of them lying around here someplace!
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

I read it was just that one plant that was shut down. The rifles are to be made at another plant.

I read this on the marlin forum.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    I read it was just that one plant that was shut down. The rifles are to be made at another plant.

I read this on the marlin forum.
    I live near the factory, there's only one location that currently produces H&R products. They have not been told yet by Remington if their products will be made elsewhere. Remington is going to reveal the specifics of the shutdown plan next Wednesday. In the mean time, they are still servicing guns and selling accessory barrels.

From what I understand, they are moving the plant to Hickory, Kentucky, which is where the Marlin plant is.

Default More Changes

I talked with a gentleman in the Remington Home Office in NC on Monday (Apr 7th) regarding an issue with a Model 7 in 308 that my ex-son in law owns that I intend to buy Anway we got to talking and he told me that within 6 months everything for New England, H &R and Marlin will be sent to Ilion, NY (Remington owns them all). Also FYI - for those who don't know Smith & Wesson -MA owns Thompson Center located in NH and up to this point has left Thompson alone maybe of how large Thompson is. In my experience Remington goes the extra mile (step) for gun owners--so I would beleive that they will strive to assist gun owners that have bought NE, H& R and Marlin firearms with any issues.

Gardner, Massachusetts Mayor Mark Hawke criticized the plant closure, saying that local officials were blind-sided by the move. He stated that Remington never contacted state or local officials prior to announcing its decision to close the Gardner factory.

I find it ironic hearing this coming out of the mouth of a govt toady in one of the most oppressive states in the country regarding gun rights.
    Now what ?

Quote Originally Posted by stevelyn View Post
    I find it ironic hearing this coming out of the mouth of a govt toady in one of the most oppressive states in the country regarding gun rights.
    Remember, the bottom line with EVERY polititan is MONEY, not MORALS

bullshop junior

They cant drop the H&R. That is like the most common gun on the planet.
    BIC/Daniel/BS Jr.