Thread: monopod vs. shooting sticks

Question monopod vs. shooting sticks

I use a monopod for photography and thought about getting a head for rifle hunting. I'm also considering shooting sticks.
    Anybody use these items in the field hunting? How easily do they deploy? weight? Pain in the butt? Good/Bad?

Thanks...

reuben...

Default Sticks

The idea of shooting sticks is fine but why not get a trekking pole (or two) so you have some walking support that can double as a rifle suppost. Shooting sticks are not strong enough to use as a walking aid. I learned by trashing a Stoney Point shooting stick in two days while using it as a walking aid. Maybe on gentler terrain but not in the rugged mts. of Alaska.

Default terrain

There is gentle terrain in Alaska! Really? Where?......

Thats the kind of the answer I was looking for. The shooting sticks look pretty neat and light but not very sturdy. I'm wanting to stay away from synthetics like plastic so metal or wood is prefered even though they might be a bit heavier.
    I would imagine cabelas would carry those trekker poles, or maybe check ebay?
    I'd like to actually see some before buying. Like I said I already have a monopod (bogen)....
    Thanks for the input!!

reuben.....

Default terrain

There is gentle terrain in Alaska! Really? Where?......

Thats the kind of the answer I was looking for. The shooting sticks look pretty neat and light but not very sturdy. I'm wanting to stay away from synthetics like plastic so metal or wood is prefered even though they might be a bit heavier.
    I would imagine cabelas would carry those trekker poles, or maybe check ebay?
    I'd like to actually see some before buying. Like I said I already have a monopod (bogen)....
    Thanks for the input!!

reuben.....

Red face REI

REI carries a large array of walking sticks/treking poles. Just don't tell them you'll be using them hunting.

Default shooting sticks, trekking poles

i always carried a bipod when guiding, great for caribou in the open, or anytime you have some time.
    i have found that with a little practice i can brace my rifle in the strap of my walking stick and get every bit as rock-solid a rest as with the bipod.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/