Thread: Split case already?

Default Split case already?

Hi,

Is it normal for a case to split after only the 2nd firing? This would be a Starline brand 500 S&W case and it's only been loaded with light loads, i.e. 12.6 gr Trail Boss or 11.1 gr TiteGroup behind a 335 gr bullet, moderate taper crimp used throughout (not even a roll crimp!) ...should be around 1000-1100 fps and less than half the chamber pressure that this gun is designed for. I haven't inspected every case carefully yet, but I spotted one on the way out of the tumbler that had a 1/2" long jaggy split that ran straight down from the neck towards the base. Is this normal? Is it due to just normal manufacturing variation? Or what? Seems kinda soon for light loads in a gun designed for twice the chamber pressure that this brass has seen. Comments?

Brian

I would be burning up he phone lines with Star-line. It sounds like the final annealing got missed.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Ok ...I just went and inspected each and every of the several hundred rounds of brass that I have. The brass came from 2 different orders plus 40 rounds from some so-called S&W 500 Special ...which were really just fairly light loads in full-length Starline cases. All of the remaining brass looked A-OK. No hints of stress or tiny fractures or splits or anything on those case mouths. They looked fine and ready to rock.

I now suspect that maybe just one non-annealed case ended up in the brass that I have ...from one of 2 lots or from either of those 2 boxes of Special. I'll keep a close eye on this brass as I continue to use it and if I see greater numbers starting to split prematurely, then I'll get Starline on the phone (might score some new brass if a bunch of them are going to be splitting like that.... )

Thx,
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by tananaBrian View Post
    Ok ...I just went and inspected each and every of the several hundred rounds of brass that I have. The brass came from 2 different orders plus 40 rounds from some so-called S&W 500 Special ...which were really just fairly light loads in full-length Starline cases. All of the remaining brass looked A-OK. No hints of stress or tiny fractures or splits or anything on those case mouths. They looked fine and ready to rock.

I now suspect that maybe just one non-annealed case ended up in the brass that I have ...from one of 2 lots or from either of those 2 boxes of Special. I'll keep a close eye on this brass as I continue to use it and if I see greater numbers starting to split prematurely, then I'll get Starline on the phone (might score some new brass if a bunch of them are going to be splitting like that.... )

Thx,
    Brian

Brian

If you only had one case split I would not be concerned .
    I would inspect them again after your next outing with the brass to check for other splits.
    If it happens again I would give Star Line a jingle !!!!!!

I have loaded some brass atleast 25 times with not one problem . It is a test I am running on 500 brass to see how many times it can be loaded before it becomes rejectable .
    Some are loaded with only hot heavy bullet rounds, hot loads with light bullets, light loads with heavy bullets, light loads with light bullets ETC you get the picture .
    I do have about 10,000 rounds of brass from many manufactures that I am keeping track of .

Anyway keep track of what you shoot , it's fun , well most of the time .

Enjoy

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Wow! That's a lot of reloads! And yes, your observation plan sounds right and what I will definitely do.

Brian