Thread: Pollinizer

Question Pollinizer

Costco had some apple trees this weekend. I picked up one called Dutchess of Oldenburg. Kind of a cross from a macintosh and a crab apple. I figured for 15.00 bucks what have I got to lose. Brought it home and planted it in a big pot for now untill or if and when spring/summer hits. Since all I have done here at the house is Veggies like carrots, peas, maters, green beans, squash my question is. It say that a pollinizer is required. Can someone help me out on this or shoot me a link as to how to handle it. Thanks
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default pollinizer

It means you will have to have a tree of a second fvariety for your tree to pollinize with or you won't get fruit. I just googled pollenizer and that is what I got. I know you have to do thta with domestic blueberries and a friend of mine did Russian kiwis and he had to get both male and female vines. It needs to be a different variety I don't know the science of it all but there it is.

Default thanks

I bought another tree for my neighbor so i might be able to make this work. Thanks for putting it in laymens terms for me

Chuck the ideal situation for fruiting is at least 3 trees. Too improve the chances of pollination you can actually collect pollen and cross trees by hand. Pollen can also be collected form trees just about anywhere in the world and used to pollinate your trees since pollen can be held in cold storage indefinitely. This is true of any flowering plant and I've used hand pollination when breeding plants that I wanted too tightly control there lineage. For example during my brief infatuation with Orchids I'd cross plants in a atempt to control flower shape and color, complete control of liniage is essential especially during strain stabilization.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

dang it! i got a blueberry plant at walmart, does that mean i will need 2 mor of them to get fruit?

Ray
    Semper Fi!

Not as familiar with blue berries some berries don't require a pollinator. However blue berries being a woody plant I'd be willing to bet dollars to doughnuts you will need at least 2 if not 3 plants.
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

thanks for the information rick. Im gonna see about adding a 3rd tree to the bunch. Now another question. How do i collect the pollen and transfer it to the other tree.

Easiest way is too let the wind do it but if you want too give nature a hand place a plastic bag over the blossoms and shake, vigorously, the yellowish white stuff is pollen dip a small brush in the pollen you've collected and brush on stamen of blossoms of tree to be pollinated. There are also screening methods and ways too dry and screen extract pollen but apple trees usually produce enough to keep it simple. My dad had three of them on his property and all he did was give them a shake when he walked by if they were flowering the wind did the rest for him.
    BHA Member

Thanks Rick. i appreciate your help and hopefully Ill have some luck. if not it will be fun trying

Working with plants is always fun and eating your own apples makes for a really nice bonus.
    BHA Member

yea i totally agree. i have done well here in west anchorage with lots of veggies. I even got maters last year with no greenhouse. I have lots of family in western new york and they always send me macintosh apples. I love them, Tart and juicy and they make one heck of a pie. So this is my first try with the trees and we will see how it goes. i did find out my neighbor picked up a couple of the same trees to the polinizer thing should not be a problem.

Unfortunately Tracy and I are somewhat limited by the amount of sunlight we get. Because we are in the shadow of the mountains it stays colder longer here and we don't get a whole heck of allot of light. We have too start almost everything in the green house or under lights. We do however have more strawberries than we can use and with a little landscaping should be adding veggies next year.(This will only be our second summer in the new house and last year was spent dealing with 16-20 relatives for two months)
    BHA Member