Thread: 35 whelen brass

Question 35 whelen brass

I have heard that remington brass isnt the greatest out there, but they are the only ones who make brass in 35 whelen. Is there a better alternative? Such as a differennt brand of brass in 30-06 and neck up the cases? Is there any truth to this, or is the talk of bad remington brass a bunch of B.S.

Default Whelen Brass

You can use the Remington, it isn't bad. I got a bunch of that stuff and it is just fine. I just tried one of my buddies' Weatherby 338-06 brass and necked it right up to 35 whelen, and it works great. the only drawback to this is that the 338-06 brass is now nearly $30 a box of 20.
    Again, there is nothing wrong with the remington, and it lasts just fine.

Default Remington brass

I have a good friend who shoots a lot of matches at the club. He uses Remington brass and swears by it. This guy shoots about 50,000 rounds of ammo a year, so if it sucked he wouldn't be using it. I have loaded lots of ammo, mostly hunting ammo, with it and I have never had a problem. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by aknewbie View Post
    I have heard that remington brass isnt the greatest out there, but they are the only ones who make brass in 35 whelen. Is there a better alternative? Such as a differennt brand of brass in 30-06 and neck up the cases? Is there any truth to this, or is the talk of bad remington brass a bunch of B.S.
    Both Remington and Winchester make brass for Nosler to noslers spec.'s hope that helps.

Aknewbie

You can use any 30 06 based brass that you want by just running it through the sizing die. Often Depending on the expander button on your whelen dies you can do it in one pass. On some you might have to go to 338 for example, then up to 35. I do this all the time for my Whelens and also the same applies to my 358 Win. I rarely buy Whelen or 358 Win brass unless it is at a killer price, 30 06 and 308 brass is plentiful and often cheap.

For the record I generally prefer Winchester cases. After that it would be Federal, Hornady, and finally Remington in that order.

I've always used remintong whelen brass, never had any problems with it.

Default ????????????

Who on this planet makes 35 Whelen brass except Remington?

I have to see a headstamp! I have five pages of loading data for the 35 Whelen and all was R-P except some I made from some Bell 30-06 Basic (cylindrical) I've never seen any other headstamp.

Does Federal make 35 Whelen ammo?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Who on this planet makes 35 Whelen brass except Remington?

I have to see a headstamp! I have five pages of loading data for the 35 Whelen and all was R-P except some I made from some Bell 30-06 Basic (cylindrical) I've never seen any other headstamp.

Does Federal make 35 Whelen ammo?
    Nosler, Federal, and Remington all have Loaded AMMO in 35 Whelen. I have used only Remington and Winchester brass for reloading and have no issues with either one. if I was worred about brass quality I just buy Lupua in 30-06 and neck it up. I think its 100% agreement its the best brass made.

Quote Originally Posted by tjen View Post
    Nosler, Federal, and Remington all have Loaded AMMO in 35 Whelen. I have used only Remington and Winchester brass for reloading and have no issues with either one. if I was worred about brass quality I just buy Lupua in 30-06 and neck it up. I think its 100% agreement its the best brass made.

What we neck up doesn't count. Remington and now Federal make 35 Whelen headstamped brass. Got it. Does Fed and/or Rem make the Nosler brass? Who knows the real answer to that? I think I've seen 35 Whelen brass advertised as available from Jamison Brass but haven't seen it. They are too busy now with gov't contracts to make civillian brass.

For 50 years we got by just necking it up, for 20 more we got by with just Remington headstamp, I'm too far behind I guess.

The Lapua 30-06 is annealled and soft in the neck/shoulder area and it makes better 35 Whelen brass than any headstamped brass. I have about 500 or so rounds that I bought for $30/100 of this annealled Lapua. Boy it sure is nice brass.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I thought Federal made Nosler's brass, at least that's what the magazines say.

Quote Originally Posted by Rigby257 View Post
    I thought Federal made Nosler's brass, at least that's what the magazines say.

That would make sense and I guess they would make the 35 Whelen, it may be better than the mill run Fed or Remington, I have never used any of Noslers brass. Is it made of brass or gold?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    That would make sense and I guess they would make the 35 Whelen, it may be better than the mill run Fed or Remington, I have never used any of Noslers brass. Is it made of brass or gold?
    You would think gold based on the price. I really don't see the "match case prep work" advertised being worth the extra price. I can sort my cases by weight for less $$$ and a few minutes of my time.

Nosler on their web sight said they use verious companys to make their brass to their secifications and they eluded to Remington and Winchester.

Default lapua brass...

Murphy,
    Where did you find that lapua brass for $30/100? Was this a while ago or is that still available?