Thread: Brass Questions

Default Brass Questions

I just got 100 Norma 300 WSM brass cases. I weighed each one and 65 of them were within 1.5 gr of each other (+ or - .75), 31 were about 1 - 2 gr heavier than the majority bunch and 4 were about 1 - 1.5 lighter. Anyone think these differences will affect shooting results? Should I separate them or throw them all in together?

Next, they will at least need neck sizing, should I just neck size or full length?

Last, I plan to just neck size the reloads after their first firing, will the diff in case dimenssion from virgin brass to fired brass affect pressure, velocity, accuracy etc?

My previous experience with reloading has been with fired factory ammo brass, Have never loaded virging brass.

Would appreciate your insights on these questions and any other insights on this topic.

Thanks,

Mark

Default neck sizing or not

I have to say that over the many years I have reloaded, for paper punching, silhouette or hunting, I have not seen enough difference in accuracy between neck sizing or FL sizing for it to matter, unless the chamber is well out of specs. One thing is that except for the best barrels, chambers are not perfectly concentric. So, unless you mark the case so that you put it into the chamber the same way each time, it isn't a perfect process. For benchrest shooters, everything that might gain you a few thousanths of an inch is necessary, but for any "casual shooting, it isn't. The one thing that nexk sizing only might do is give you longer case life, which, for the blted magnums, is a good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    I just got 100 Norma 300 WSM brass cases. I weighed each one and 65 of them were within 1.5 gr of each other (+ or - .75), 31 were about 1 - 2 gr heavier than the majority bunch and 4 were about 1 - 1.5 lighter. Anyone think these differences will affect shooting results? Should I separate them or throw them all in together?

Next, they will at least need neck sizing, should I just neck size or full length?

Last, I plan to just neck size the reloads after their first firing, will the diff in case dimenssion from virgin brass to fired brass affect pressure, velocity, accuracy etc?

My previous experience with reloading has been with fired factory ammo brass, Have never loaded virging brass.

Would appreciate your insights on these questions and any other insights on this topic.

Thanks,

Mark

Mark,

You have two or three different lots and variation of that amount is not uncommon with any brand and isn't enough to make much difference. I would seperate the heavier form the lighter, but I'm a bit anal. If you fill them with water and there is as much as 2.0 grains of water difference filled to the top, then you might see a difference in velocity. Of course a difference in velocity is normal anyway. It isn't something to worry about and I don't think with that difference the load needs to be adjusted. Sometimes we strain a Gnat and swallow a Camel, trying to refine a load.

On second thought, just throw them all away....to me. Yes just neck size them and the Norma probably won't need to be trimmed. Lube the neck inside and out with the dry mica or graphite neck lube. What did those cost ya? I have some that were loaded ten times then I necked them up to 338 and shot them another half dozen times. They are durable.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

The heaviest and lightest case differed by 3 gr. I filled them with water and the difference between their volume water weight was .2 gr. Not too bad. Might have to check it again after the first firing.

Midway advertizes 300 WSM brass $90 for 100, but they are back ordered for about 6 weeks. A lot of other places were out also. I ended up getting them from Lock Stock and Barrel for $50.76 per 50. And they are now out of stock also.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...=0005023250100

Mid south shooter supply has some remington 300 WSM brass.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default Really not much difference.

In my experience through target shooting or hunting most of this is "for the fisherman not the fish" as the saying goes. I have given up on weighing and sorting brass, uniforming primer pockets and flash holes, etc. I trim to the apropriate length, measure powder as precisely as possible, and sort mostly by final c.o.a.l. for final sorting. Honestly neither the cronograph nor the paper can tell me any difference.

I am all for neck sizing to avoid overworking the brass, but even then most studies show that this does very little to prolong brass life. I do believe that the neck sizing will increase accuracy to a degree though (whether or not you or your rifle can out shoot the difference is the question). I say do what ever makes you more confident in the load, and that will make it shoot better.

A couple more questions...

First, I just picked up some One Shot case lube that is advertized to dry lube the inside and out of the case, and wont affect powder. Any comments?

Second, In the past I have used a fine point sharpie to mark the walls of my brass with the info of my various loads during the workup process. Will this cause any problems in the chamber?

Thanks for the input so far.

bullshop junior

if they are new, you do not need to size them, if fired in your gun neck size them, if fired if a differand gun and they wont chamber in yours, full leaght.
    BIC/Daniel/BS Jr.

They are new, and from visual inspection, it's obvious that they need to be neck sized.

Big Stick

Norma is notoriously soft and the weight differentials you cite,are horrid. In all my WSM's W/W hulls have been amazingly uniform and robust(and I disfavor W/W on the average).

Never move more brass than requisite,as Precision and brass life will be affected................

Big Stick

Virgin hulls ALWAYS need neck sized(as a minimum),so as to round case mouths and make for uniform bullet tension.

I typically run a FL die shy of the shoulder,for virgin hulls,but of course ascertain function,prior to dumping powder and seating bullets..............

If you are really worried about mass difference, re-weigh them seperating them into groups based on mass. Now create a bell curve graph and keep whichever group you feel will satisfy you. 90%, 95% or 99% ect. The mass difference you are listing are small. And .2 grain difference in water volume: 2 one-hundredths a grain is incredibly small, I doubt there are very many people who could reproduce such a measurement accurately on a case-to-case basis.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

I don't think I'm too concerned with the differences, I'll probably mark a couple on both ends of the spectrum and see how they do on the range.

You know I just realized you didn't write two one-hundredths, you wrote two-tenths. My mistake.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...