Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kodiak Brown Bear Drawing

Default Kodiak Brown Bear Drawing

Anyone out there have the inside scoop on Kodiak Brown Bear hunts? I want to put in for the draw this spring. Should I put in for spring or fall? I'm thinking spring, because the days are longer, the bears have spring coats (hopefully not rubbed), and I won't be distracted by deer or deer hunters. The flip side. Fall hunt can be combo waterfowl and deer. Hides should be uniform. I was thinking about Spiridon Bay just because there weren't many permits given out there last year and it seems pretty remote. Anyone have the 411? Thanks.

You'll see more bears in the fall me thinks. Look at the odds on F&G's webpage and you'll see also that there is a difference in the number of tags available for spring vs fall. Spring affords you more daylight and "generally" better weather but you are also at the mercy of spring being spring and bears being out and about. If I had my choice I'd go fall.

Default Thanks

AlaskaCub, thanks for your input. I'm planning two weeks in the Brooks this fall already, so that may be one subliminal reason for looking at spring hunts. Another two week hunt in October or November may be a tough sell in the kitchen. Your comments make sense, though. Maybe I'll put it off a year and try for fall of 09. BTW, have you hunted Kodiak? Specifically, have you hunted bears in Kodiak? I'm just curious and looking for info.

Anyone else? The more the merrier here!

Default Brown Bear Drawing

Here it is

either way you'v got like a 3 percent chance of drawing, so just put in for three areas and hope for the best...all areas are pretty much equal when it comes to bears, success is higher in the spring, more time to hunt and better ground visiblity, no grass/leaves and some snow to keep the bears up outa the alders. i'd go spring....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Thanks

Thanks for the input BRWNBR. Maybe I should look at some other options if I don't draw, maybe the AK Pen or west side of the Inlet. I'm leaning spring, just so I can concentrate on bears and get out of dodge as early in the year as possible.

LuJon - sweet drawing. Where did you go to school? Matchbook U.?

I was going to say you will most likely have plenty of time to search for an area. I have donated a couple hundred bucks to Kodiak bear drawings and will again this year.

Odds of drawing are something like one every 40 years.

Afognak may have better draw odds but is more expensive to get to. I think.

If you are a guided non-res you are pretty much guaranteed a tag. Go figure.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Ha! C'mon LuJon, anyone can see thats a PAINTING!!

Default Hunted Solo in the Spring

I hunted solo during the spring hunt about 10 years ago. I wanted to hunt Kodiak bears real bad so I looked at what was a tad bit higher of a percentage to draw both for a specific hunt area and the choice of spring vs fall. I guess my analysis worked because I drew a tag.

I had great weather (the spring season is usually better weather than fall) which was a plus, especially since it was a solo hunt and the transporter forgot about me until my 15 days were up.

Part of the reason why I ended up hunting solo is because I preferred to hunt that way back then but also because I couldn't find somebody to take off of work for 15+ days without them being able to hunt something--that might be a big factor in your planning--if you go in the fall it is an easier "sell" to a buddy that they are going to be able to hunt deer, etc.

Another option is to put in for a "party tag" and then your hunting partner will be fully up for the adventure--but be aware of how that changes your chances of being drawn.

Good luck--be safe...

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dipper View Post
    LuJon - sweet drawing. Where did you go to school? Matchbook U.?
    North of there at "fastener" U

honestly it aint my drawing

I must have gotten lucky because I applied once so far and got a tag. That was two years ago.

Default odds

put in with BRWNBR your odds go up. I drew on first try!

Ok I will chime in and add something useful now. Second what majorbam said about better weather in spring. There has been at least 2 pretty good size grass fires on Kodiak in the last 7 years, in April as I recall. So it can actually get pretty dry there at times.
    My boss drew a fall tag there several years ago, and said the weather was so horrible it defied description even with "cowboy language".

...its not one every 40 years or so - do the math, and Afognak as far as Air Support costs in concerned, its a heckuva lot cheaper than South Island - but then you've got Native land issues to deal with on Afognak - so in the end its about the same.

Plan on $2500 for the hunt no matter where you draw and you will be right in the ball park after its all said and done. Thats $2500 before any taxidermy fees.

I leave in a few weeks on my 4th Kodiak Bear hunt....and I've only been hunting them for about 12 years...so i must be luckier than average.

Good luck in the draw - Spiridon has as many bears as anywhere else

Maybe I should quit putting for Karluk lake. 2% = 1 in 50

Default Thanks for all the info!

It actually looks like I have an opportunity to get in on a spring hunt this year on the mainland. I'm pretty stoked about it. Two weeks on a 50' boat, fishing for halibut and kings while we look for bears. Food, drinks and fuel. It looks like the fuel bill will be pretty stiff, though. This looks like the best bang for the bucks - I'm thinking that $2,500 might be cheap... Well, at least I'll be one less person putting in for Kodiak, so good luck you guys!

Math works for Karluk...now how about the other units?

PLEASE, by all means Keep putting in for Karluk - that gives me better odds for the ones I llike to hunt

I also put in for terror bay which actually has a 4% chance for fall.

There are some with odds closer to 10% but I wonder how many bears will be seen there.

I deer hunted in 2006 in an area that has an 11% draw rate and we only saw 4 bears in 21 days.

And if you draw one every single year you put in then whoopy for you. You know that is not the norm. I have not drawn any permit for twelve years. In spite of contributing lots of dough.

you hunted deer for 21 days on Kodiak and only saw 4 bear? Sounds like you might not have seen very many deer either....mind if I ask what area?

Don't worry there are no bear in the Units that have a higher than 10% draw rate - its all a conspiracy anyway - so your not missing out.

What are the odds for a Spring hunt in Terror Bay?

Spring hunt Terror bay is 12%.

I am going to rethink my draw apps this year. Not for long though. No sense in kicking a dead horse.

We hunted Wild creek . My friend drew that tag twice in 10 years, hunted his 30 days before getting a small bear. We got that bear on the last day of his tag.

We saw at least 50 deer. Three of us shot 8 bucks and one doe..... O.K. I shot the doe with my 454.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast