Thread: S&W 500 Pet Bear Loads

Default S&W 500 Pet Bear Loads

Well, not "pet Bears". Favorite load recipes for bear protection.

Anyone have a pet load you practice with for bear protection in your S&W 500? (mine's the 4")

I practice with a 420 grain FNGC bullet with 20 gr of blue dot. It's from Ranger Rick's out of Homer, Alaska. I also bought a bunch of 400 grain bullets w/out gas checks at a gun show. I only shoot those at the minimum loads so far. I've loaded it up to 22 gr. I'm not sure of the fps out of my 4".

Default lOADS I HAVE TRIED

I Also Have The 4" (actually 3" Bbl).

Shooting Chrony Velocity

Cast Bullet From Wheel Weight 455 Gr Total With Gas Check Lubed.

10.0gr. Ww231 766 Average Mv

18.5gr. Longshot 1144 Mv

38.0gr. H110 1342mv

I Usually Load And Shoot 36.0 Gr H110 1233 Mv

Mv Is Much Lower Than Advertised With The 4" Model 500.

Quote Originally Posted by redale View Post
    I Also Have The 4" (actually 3" Bbl).

Shooting Chrony Velocity

Cast Bullet From Wheel Weight 455 Gr Total With Gas Check Lubed.

10.0gr. Ww231 766 Average Mv

18.5gr. Longshot 1144 Mv

38.0gr. H110 1342mv

I Usually Load And Shoot 36.0 Gr H110 1233 Mv

Mv Is Much Lower Than Advertised With The 4" Model 500.
    Redale,

Thanks for sharing your info. I just loaded up 10 rounds of 37.4 grains of H110 with a FNGC 420 gr bullet and will give them a try this weekend.

I have lots of ww231 available for 45 acp. 9mm, and 38 sp loads. Is that load super light recoil at that velocity? My wife might enjoy a super light recoiling load for the 500. Hey, who am I kidding? I'd enjoy a low, low recoiling shot round too. Lately she's willing to pop off a few rounds with the blue dot load I mentioned above. Just a few.

Thanks.

Default Light as I recall

I got a 4" as soon as I could and those loads have been sittinng in my loading book a long time. As I recall it was very light. Again as I recall would compare it a 38 Spc. I sort of settled on the heavyer load a few years ago and not done much else. There was a gentle man who was a teacher in Anchorage who was loading the 700 gr bullets but I was never able to meet with him and try any of his loads. I do not know which version of the 500 he used. I might still have his email address around, if your interested I'll look and see. Let me know what you think of the loads after you try them. Hope this helps

Default Hey, I shot the ww231 load today.

Redale,

I only loaded up 5 just to test them out. They are very, very soft recoiling with a 400 grain bullet. I don't anticipate practicing with them a lot but they are good to have on hand especially for someone who just want to shoot my gun, but is worried about heavy recoil. Thanks.

I've also loaded up a bunch of 420 grain bullets with h110 at 38 and 40 grains. They are a much hotter load, yet very doable for practice. I may be leaning toward the 40 grain loads for bear protection. The 20 grains of blue dot with a 420 bullet are a sort of in-between practice load for me.

I haven't tried the Longshot powder yet.