Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: All things Knik/Jim Creek...

Default All things Knik/Jim Creek...

This thread will be dedicated to anything and everything to do with the Knik/Jim creek area. We are consolidating the various threads because the area is so popular and some threads tend to get lost in the mix.

If you have any updates or information regarding riding conditions, hazards, meetings, cleanup dates, etc... please post them here.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Rained all day and the majority of the snow disappeared at JC. 4/15/08

Made my first run to the Glacier on my new machine yesterday 4-17. Easy going, not too much water and did pretty much the whole thing in 2wd. Unfortunately no pictures. Camera was in the wife's vehicle.

water low, dust high , made it no problem. some people still cant figure out that there is rideing beyond the parking lot. watch for idiots!

Ran out to the glacier today...

Like mentioned earlier, water was low, dust was prevalent, and the weather was AWESOME!!!!

Lots of people today...the main parking lot was pretty full. We saw lots of people but it never really got crowded. The usual "bunch up" at the Jim Creek crossing. Some were trying to cross and some were just there to watch the fun.

To the white dirt bike that ran with me near the big sand dune...Ya, Grizzlies are faster than you thought!!!!!
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

heading out there tomarrow with some trucks from wheelordie.com and alaska4x4network.com, the weather is gonna be GREAT!!!

Ray
    Semper Fi!

We had our first trip out to Jim's Creek on Saturday and it lived up to all the hype. My wife wasn't too hip to all the gunfire going on but she dealt with it. My kids had a blast, even my daughter who was grumpy from staying up all night with her freinds.

The first JC crossing was pretty easy although my kids were relectunt to do it on their own as it was somewhat deep. My wife and I went across and then she ferried me back and forth to get the kids and their quads. My son started to get the feel for his Kawasaki Prairie 360 and by the second JC crossing on the way back we was pretty sure of himself.

We did not make it all the way back to the glacier as we got a late start and it seemed to get a little deep. It would have been easier if we had been with someone who knew the ropes. It was a blast going through all the back trails and getting muddy. My daughter seemed to find most of the holes and by the second or third was able to power through on her own without any help!!

All in all it was a very good trip without incident until.... We pulled up to JC for the second time (heading back to the truck) and we decided to take a different was across that we saw some other folks take that looked much easier. My son on the other hand, who was feeling pretty full of himself by this point, decided to head on across by himself. He did not make it too far and ended up stranded in the middle! I started to pull out my waders and get the winch out when a wonderful gentleman and his sons rescued him in their machine(not really sure what it was but it looked pretty powerful). They yanked him right out and then when we found out it was waterlogged they proceded to get right to work, like a pit crew at Indy. They were amazing! They even gave him a little more fuel to make sure we made it all the way back.

What a trip!! If anybody knows who this gentleman is please let me know as I was absent minded and didn't get his name.

Hope to be out there again soon!

We rode Peter's creek Sunday, it was great, the ice was melting so some crossings were hard if you got a small bike, but the ride was easy. You might try taking the family out that way, it was a good time and there are tons of trails out that way.

Default Jim Creek Conditions--May 3

Rode out to Metal Creek and back today. The wind was blowing 20-30 mph down the valley, and it was by far the DUSTIEST I have ever seen it. On the trip back we got caught in a mini-dust storm, during which the visibility was probably under 100 yds--so bad that I had to follow the tree line to find the main trail back to the parking lot. Most puddles were lower than last week, but the "trenches" through the last section of Wolf Point were getting more and more chewed up.

I was going to go up to Metal Creek today also, until I looked out my windows upriver and saw a cloud a half mile high and one mile wide of blowing silt. I've seen it worse but not by too much. Thousands of tons of silt was moved out into the whole valley by the wind today
    Been there done that, ain't worth riding when you have stop every mile to pick all the silt out of yer nose

Default Jim's creek

Is there any fun rides closer to anchorage than Jim's Creek other than peter's creek?

Quote Originally Posted by HILL View Post
    Is there any fun rides closer to anchorage than Jim's Creek other than peter's creek?
    Bird Creek would likely be your only other "close" option.

Default Spring Jim Creek Cleanup

Spring Jim Creek Cleanup
    at the New Knik River Public Use Area (otherwise known as Jim Creek)
    May 17, 2007 - 10AM until 4 PM
    Sign in at the Pavilion Parking Lot (10.5 miles north on the Old Glenn Hwy/Knik River Rd from the New Glenn Hwy turnoff, turn east (right) on Sullivan Ave (toward Raceway Park) 1.25 miles, parking area on the right)

Help clean up the favorite, largest, most accessible ATV riding area in Alaska.

Make a day of it with friends and family - work a little, play a little, meet new people and old friends and enjoy a fun and rewarding day! We supply the bags and trash disposal; you bring your gloves, your family and friends, sense of humor and favorite way to get around the area! Everyone who collects a bag of trash will be entered in the Door Prize Drawing and gets a plate at the BBQ!

Cleanup starts at 10 AM, the BBQ starts at 2:00 PM with the Door Prize Drawing at 3 PM.

Last year 387 volunteers collected 9.5 tons of trash at the Spring Jim Creek Cleanup. This year we are looking for 500 people to come out and help. This Cleanup has in the last 5 years collected almost 60 tons of trash from this area. The great part is that the first year 50 of us collected over 14 tons and every year we have more people helping, and are collecting less trash. We are making a difference, a huge difference! The first year we worked with rakes and shovels, last year some people had to really scramble to fill a trash bag! People are noticing that ATVers are the ones spending their time and working at making it a better place.

But we aren't the only ones working. The local 4X4 truck clubs; Alaska Extreme 4X4, To Broke To Play and others like the Alaska Outdoor Access Alliance, and local businesses like Premier Earthworks and Miller Enterprises, have worked at hauling out the "heavy metal" junk cars for the last few years and we are hoping they show up again this year.

Notice a trend here? The people the "antis" are saying are destroying the place are the ones putting real effort into making it better. Lets keep it up!
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Default "Notice a Trend here......."

Annual Spring Cleanup Jim/Mud Lakes
    SATURDAY MAY 17th - 9 am.
    For all interested users
    BRING: Rakes, shovels, gloves, etc. Also a truck if you have one. Bring your canoe and waders for cleaning up the waterways. If you bring a truck, the Mat-Su Borough recommends that you secure the load with a tarp, bungee cords, rope or net. They will charge $10 per load for unsecured loads
    Bags will be available on the 17th at Mud Lake or the beginning of the dirt road by the sign
    Try to carry an extra bag for aluminum and plastic bottles (pop & water bottles PETE #1) that can be recycled to save landfill space.

"Notice a trend here - the "antis" whom have been doing clean ups since the mid 90's with ANG, ACE, MSB, Butte CC, etc. and have always very, very much appreciated the ATV Club taking up the organization of cleanups on the Flats, have said so over and over and over, and have never ever blamed any particular user group for the messes - have always and are still doing cleanups, too !! Let's keep it up everyone! We are making a difference, a huge difference!

Maybe someday we can grow up drop the 'Anti' labels, eh? What a concept!
    Thanks to every single person that puts effort into making the Knik Watershed a better place!

Quote Originally Posted by 68 Bronco View Post

Maybe someday we can grow up drop the 'Anti' labels, eh? What a concept!
    Yes, I prefered the term "Tree huggin Tools" or "Bozos" myself.

DWS - Good to keep a sense of humor, for sure!
    Somedays it is more difficult than others - a walk with the dogs did me some good.

I wish we could ALL use the resourse and get along. But "some" refuse to use the resourse unless "others" and their "activities" are BANNED.

Default Correction to post

May 17th 2008 is the date.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org

Default Great!

We won't have to send anyone up to Maude Road!
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org

We had the ANG/heavy equipment over there a few times during the 90's cleanups, and though there are still the occasional vehicles, (one last fall, by example) , for the most part that stuff gets taken in one of the flats accesses for obvious reasons.
    Human waste, TV's in the lakes, dead pets, target and fire debris, etc. is more the norm. One of the worst years we had a winter's collection of 'honey buckets' from a squatter and over 30 auto batteries dumped ( probably by a business) right into the spring feeding Jim Lake.
    It is good to see the dumping of trash slow.

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast