Thread: Quality Check on Used Binos/Scopes

Question Quality Check on Used Binos/Scopes

I am thinking about buying another set of binos--considering going the used route to save some money.

I was wondering if there is some way to evaluate the overall quality/serviceablity (besides just basically looking thru them for obvious defects/scratches) prior to purchasing.

Does somebody have a good checklist that they use to go over prior to purchasing a set of used binos or a rifle-scope/spotting scope for that matter--maybe a dealer out there knows what the manufacturers do to evaluate binos prior to shipping them to retailers or prior to returning them to the customer after warranty service...

Would be nice if there was some sort of "inspection list" or battery of tests like what you can do prior to buying a used car.

What I want to avoid is spending a few hundred dollars and then finding out later that they have a fogging/seal issue or something like that and then have no recourse--or would I have recourse thru the manufacturer's warranty?

Along those lines--are most warranties on the medium and higher-end binos (Sawro, Leica, Zeiss, Minox, etc.) transferable to new owners?

Thanx for the help.

Juneau, Alaska

Default vortex

try the vortex binos from dougs camera, the demos are in and on sale...great binos good warranty (and new)