Thread: Artic Oven / Bomb Shelter ???????

Smile Artic Oven / Bomb Shelter ???????

I am sure over the years this has been asked , and I have searched the archives .
    I am going to get one of them just not sure which one ????
    I would like to know the pros and cons of both tents 10x10 and if the vestibule on the oven attaches to the existing tent as a seperate unit .
    I can not seem to find the height's of either tent.
    Thanks,Thanks,thanks

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Default Bombshelter

PM'd you +10

Smile

Got it and thank you .

RR

USS SARATOGA CV-60

The 10 foot AO you can stand up in. Why anyone would even consider a Bomb Shelter with no polypro lining is beyond me. You can dry stuff out in the AO overnight and a latern keeps everything inside toasty and DRY. The AO comes ready to add a small wood stove as well. They are both built exceptionally well to handle rough weather. Anyone who ever stayed in my AO bought one. I can't give a higher recommendation than that. I am sure there are fans of the Bombshelter here as well and I am betting they never stayed in an AO for a couple of days.

stayed in both, like the bomb shelter, LOVED the arctic oven. heavy buggers, but man are they nice to stay in!! you won't be disapointed in an AO!

Smile

Thanks for the response .Good information.
    Been looking at alot of tents lately hope to have one in a month .

RR

USS SARATOGA CV-60

Default Re: AO

After talking to a couple of friends of mine that own AO's I placed an order for a 10x10 with vestibule. They all swear by them. They've used them in some nasty weather for days on end and had no problems. I'm headed to Kodiak in October so I'll get first hand knowledge.

Nunya,
    Make sure you take the small wood stove they sell for the tent and purchase 2-3 of those large paper/wax logs people put in there fireplace. Just chop off a piece and toss it in the stove and instant heat with no muss of fuss.

Default Artic Oven

I'm one of the guys that bought the artic oven after experiencing the comforts of Snowwolfe's AO on Kodiak years ago. And there's been a half dozen more that have bought the AO because of mine. Start with a real small chunk of the Duraflame log. More'n 1/16 of a log just makes it way too hot.

Default Stove or lantern ?

Well I've been putting off the purchase of the AO since spring & I guess now is as good as time as any. Question for those who use them regurlaly.
    Why go with the wood stove vs. a lantern or buddy heater?
    I would think on trips where above treeline, or in the places like the SE or kodiak when its raining all the time it would be easeier to go with propane or white gas heat ( which I carry anyway for the stoves ) then search for wet wood to dry out? Also wouldn't the stove & pipe be more bulk ?
    Also Nunya, what made you decide to go with the vestibue? I am thinking the same as it makes sense & provides a place to keep gear dry & out of the way yet, people have told me it takes away from the design & makes it more susceptible to catching winds.
    Please enlighten me?
    Thanks

You still need the latern for light and more times than not the heat output from it is adequate to keep the tent warm. The wood stove is small and you can also pack items inside of it conserving space till you arrive at camp. Wood is a dry type of heat and any liquid fuel is a wet type. You can also heat up food wrapped in foil with it. My experience at Kodiak leaves a lot to be desired with finding wood that burns easily that is why we carry the Duraflame logs. The dry heat helps to dry out your items plus you don't have to carry in as much fuel. Plus it sure is nice to let the wood stove run till we drift off to sleep.
    I do not have any experience with the vestibule but it sure looks nice.

Thumbs up

I never thought of using duraflame logs .
    Great idea for sure .!!!!!!!

RR

USS SARATOGA CV-60

Default Artic ten man

For those with a budget, the military made an artic tent, you can get them used, or, at one of the pdo yards sometimes. I got one for $100, and bought the yukon stove for another $100. It is very heavy, 90 pounds, not including the stove which is 40 more. They are extremely warm, durable and, will withstand some serious wind etc. Draw backs include the center pole and the area needed to set one up. I have been in one at 40 below, and in a 40 knot wind without problems.

Question A.O. Stoves

What stoves do you guys use in the A.O.
    I have seen the ti goat catalog but for know I was wanting to go with the small & lighter options on a stove.
    Will there smallest one AK tent sells work good in the 10x10?

Default Arctic Oven

I have a friend building a cabin near Skwentna. He has an AO set up on a wood floor with a Nordic diesel stove in it. Very, very comfortable setup. I was very impressed.