Thread: Cost Estimates (ballpark)

Default Cost Estimates (ballpark)

I looking to get some ballpark figures from people who have built cabins recently or anyone who can help. I am looking at building a cabin that is about 300-500 square feet with a half loft. I am flexible on the floor plan and would like a floor plan that maximizes space while minimizing materials, something like 16 x 32 or 16 x 24 or whatever the most cost effective floor plan is. I am basically looking to get a plain Jane livable cabin up this summer and then finish with niceties over time. I am pretty flexible concerning design details and costs, but I want something that will hold its value overtime.

Any help would be greatly appreciated because I am just trying to get a rough estimate of materials cost for my budget

Jake

Depending on how fancy or plain you want to go. Use logs or frame it out. Metal roof or shingles. Used materials or new. You are probably looking at spending $10-$25 K. If you do your own work and already own your own property. Plus that is not figuring in how far you have to haul of freight in building materials.

You would want an open floor plan (one large room) and use the furniture to separate living areas (kitchen, living area). Less materials for interior walls. It also makes it easier to heat. You can save money by using peeled logs instead of 4x4's or 6x6's for posts. If you have a friend putting new windows in their house offer to help to get the used window off of them, they are a big expense. It's hard to give a ball park not knowing what your plans are. I have built ten cabins, one barn and several sheds over the years. They have ranged in costs from $10K to about $50K.
    If you take the woods out of the woodsman you have nothing left but a man in the woods.

When someone walks into my store and asks this question our standard answer for a cabin is $50/sq ft from foundation to roof.. $100-125/ sq ft. for a real house.

There are a tremendous amount of variables so this is about as close as you can get without a real plan.

Thanks guys for the replys. They are pretty much what I was figuring, but it is good to have my thoughts confirmed. I figure I will be well on my way with 20k-25k to spend on materials and my abilities to beg, borrow, and steal items like windows. Anyway guys thanks again.

Jake

Default As usual

Doug is right on with his pricing. As I was reading down the thread the number I had in mine were the same as his. Of course some things can be more or less depending on your quality and taste of course. Good luck and make sure to share pics when your done
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default LOL

I like maineguide's location, ( inbetween homes) (Built 10 cabins) just a little humor. E.S.

A little more information would be good to know regarding holding value. The definition of Cabin is wide and varied. How often do you plan to use it? What utilities and access do you have. How readily available are supplies.

I have a place that didn't nearly cost that much to get to fully enclosed (still open stud) on inside but is remote enough and access tough enough that I have to do everything myself.

This is a very rustic hunting cabin without power or water, so there were cost savings there but I did run electrical to a breakerbox with a pigtail to hook to my genset. Mind you that this is also not on a foundation but on pier pads and blocks (elevated) due to lack of resourcecs and building on a slight incline.

As you have mentioned, beg, borrow, barter, for your materials. Don't forget the snow load either.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Call Jay Friesen

This may seem 180 degrees from what you are asking, but; I have physical problems that won't let me build anymore. I called Jay Friesen of Friesen's Custom Cabins. His cost for a one story (plan 5 on his website) cabin, 24 X 36 is less then 30,000. This includes proper post foundation, flooring, walls, roof framing and metal roofing, all sheathing in T-111, two metal doors with locksets, six sliding thermopane windows and stairs to the doors. This gives you a solid shell to finish over time. You probably want to build yourself, which I understand and I don't know for sure what you want, but it is worth checking his website for comparative costs. Friesenscustomcabins.com Just worth checking out.

Kenai pen, in summer. Matsu vally in winter

I live in wasilla and a frend of mine has a aution every now and then over buy wallmart most of the time they have windows. I bought all my windows there they are all vinal double pain argon and new. I got 2 4x5 picture windows for 75 each. also 2x4 crank outs for 60 each. they have alot of off sizes but if you get them before yoy build there great...
    Ill find out when the next one is. All the windows come from spanard and other bulding supply places.

My place is 16x20 with a half loft, framed, sheeted, wired, insulated and vaper barrier up with doors, windows and front deck I have about $13,500.00 in matirials.