Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your "GO TO" Moose rifle?

Question What is your "GO TO" Moose rifle?

What is your "go to" moose rifle (make,caliber and bullet)selection and why?

Model 70 300 Win. Mag. post 64 jeweled bolt. 3x9 X-II 180 grain bullets

shoots 3/4 inch groups off bench

always comes right to my shoulder, scope comes in perfect no looking around.

Its a stone cold moose killer.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Remington 700 RMEF Special edition 300 Short Action Ultra Magnum 180 grain bullet with the Pentex light seeker 6-24x50.
    Because it's a long range, hard hitting, one shot killing machine

.35 Whelen in a Remington 700 CDL w/ Hogue Overmolded Stock (rubberized) and a Leupold VXIII 3.5-10x 40mm shooting Nosler Custom 250gr Partition.

I own a 7 STW, a .300 Win Mag, a .340 Wby Mag, and a .375 Ultra Mag; but when it comes time to go moose hunting I pick up my Whelen. Plenty of horsepower, not a lot of kick, quick follow-up shots, relatively light, the stock makes no noise going thru the brush and your hands will never slip on it.

I've beat the daylights out of that gun, and it's one of the ugliest in my safe, but man I love that set-up.

My "go to" gun for moose and anything, so far, is my Remington 700 BDL in 300wm. I bought it used from a friend who purchased it new in 1964. I have taken deer to moose with it, going spring black bear in PWS this year; the 300 will be along. Great to see others favorite gun and caliber.

Default Favorite

My "go to" moose rifle is a custom built 375 Weatherby because I have a hunting friend that built it for me. It's stainless, composite stock, 1.75 x 6 Leupold scope.

Because it will shoot 375 H & H ammo & will stop a bear if need be. It will also take the rainy weather of a float trip.

For years it was a Ruger .338 with 250 gr Nosler's. The last two years it has been a Hoyt with 125 gr Stingers.

Default moose rifle

My 'go to' moose rifle is a Ruger 300 winchester with 180 grain Hornady bullets. I now only have two calibers: the 300 and a 270; I have killed moose with the 270 but am more comfortable with the 300. However, I have killed a lot of moose in the past with a 308 also.

I have pretty much retired my dads 7 Mag(at least untill my boys can shoot it) so now I carry an A-Bolt 325 WSM Stainless Stalker. What's not to love? I won't buy a rifle without a Tang saftey that way it's the same as my shotgun so my bunny hunting transfers right to my moose hunting when it comes to shouldering the weapon. I have a Leupold Rifleman 3-9x40 but am planning to move to a 2.5-8x32 conquest soon the 3.2" of eye relief at 9x on the leuy is a little tight for prone shooting! Other than that the 60* bolt throw, floor plate mounted drop away box magazine, and an easy bolt release were all factors in my choice.

Right now it's my Winchester model 70 Classic 375 H&H which loves the Fedeal Premium 300 gr Nosler Partitions. Why, because it kills stuff dead.

Any time I leave the house for a hunt, my go to gun is my Benelli R-1 in 300 Win Mag. Have it scoped with a Leupold 3.5x10x50 mm with a B&C reticle. I shoot 180 grain Barnes TSXs hand loaded. I have taken most Alaskan game with it. I love it because it shoulders fast and has a soft recoil, I can stay in the scope and keep firing. The key is it have a rifle that you believe in. This is that gun for me, I know that I can hit what I'm aiming at 400 yards and under. I practice with it all year and have taken the time to learn how it shoots.

Steve

My "go to" moosin gun is the Winchester M70 Classic, SS, Black Shadow, 24" .308Win. using 180 grain rounds topped with a Leupold vx-II 3-9x40 tappered crosshair-dot reticle. The gun is rugged and light, accurate as any .308 can ever be with a great trigger.

Winchester Model 70 S/S Pre-64 Action Controlled Round Feed in a .338 Win Mag pushing 225 TSX.......

Default go to moose gun

My go to moose gun is a Ruger .338 with a Nikon 3-9x40 shooting Trophy Bonded Bearclaws. This thing will take a lickin' and keep on tickin'

Cant say I really have a "go to" gun for moose, have killed em with a 30-06,300 WM, 300WSM, and 7MM's. They are truly one of the easiest critters to kill IMO. Have never tracked a moose and most have died within 20-30 yards of where they were shot with some not even going 10 feet.

Default moose

Browning BAR in 30.06. Leopold3x9 with detachable mounts. Federal 180 gr, Noslers. I grew up on the east coast, what can I say.

Same gun I shoot everything eles with, .280 Rem ackly improved with 160 grain Barns TSX bullets. I only grab the .416 rem with 300 grain Barns TSX when I am going after the big brownies!

Default Another BAR

in 308 this time. Main reason is it was my Dads deer rifle for a long time, I bought it for him in 1970 and its' got a few blackies and more whitetails than he would admit. It needs a moose or two.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Love my 300 Ultra Mag. Ammo is spendy....
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Red Ryder BB gun... .177 caliber. Can't miss.
    Johnny

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast