Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eat coyote, fox, wolf?

Default Eat coyote, fox, wolf?

Anybody try eating any of these species: coyote, fox, wolf? I know they eat dogs in various parts of the world and I'm willing to try anything at least once ...or are the social aspects of eating these puppies (pardon the pun) just too much for most folks? Anyone?

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by tananaBrian View Post
    I'm willing to try anything at least once ..
    Those are the wrong words to say on this site.

Are you Andrew Zimmern from Travel Channels Bizzare foods ? He had deer penis soup yesterday
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

I was offered a wolf burger the other day, and I could only cringe. Strangely enough the meat, which was taken from the skull, smelt similar to moose. I wonder why. I'll have to ask him how it tasted, after I eat the grizz burg he gave me.

Some animals smell fairly tasty when you cut them open. It is quite palateable to think of eating them. Other's are just plain disgusting..........canines are disgusting!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Most critters that eat strictly meat dont taste to great. I have had Croc, and snake which were ok at best but those are reptiles. Then fish of course eat meat and taste good but a K9? I guess anything cooked long enough and with enough seasoning could taste alright.

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Some animals smell fairly tasty when you cut them open. It is quite palateable to think of eating them. Other's are just plain disgusting..........canines are disgusting!
    My thoughts as well.

Hay Matt nice Avatar. What were you in some kinda duck blind.And who took that picture? I love the way the guy used the light coming though the blind . Oh and if wanted to eat a canine I would eat one of my dogs first! Max, here boy. I got something good for you

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

The last thought to enter my mind when I'm skinning a wolf is...palatable- however, magpies, ravens and eagles sure enjoy it.

I remember YEARS!! back seeing a Red Fox recipe in Sports Afield or Field and Stream. I always keep an extra loaf of bread around so I don't get that desparate.

til later

Default canines are very good eating

A fat wolf is very good eating if it hasn't been dead in a trap/snare for a while. So is fox. We don't have coyotes this far north so can't comment on them. Dog is also very good.

What is "palatable" is often determined by foolish predetermined notions in your mind. I've tried eating just about everything out here at one point or another. Canine is actually very good if fat, not like it is 'desperation' food or anything. Probably the most unpalatable meat we've ever tried is rutted bull caribou. Just after that is the weasel family...we don't eat marten. Mink aren't so good either, but in a pinch they have a lot of fat and can provide a lot of oil and protein.

Tananabrian...I'd give anything a try too. I have <grin>. Let us know how you find it.

Default Come on man...

Quote Originally Posted by tananaBrian View Post
    Anybody try eating any of these species: coyote, fox, wolf? I know they eat dogs in various parts of the world and I'm willing to try anything at least once ...or are the social aspects of eating these puppies (pardon the pun) just too much for most folks? Anyone?

Brian
    Dude, we can go up north and get you a bou of the road if you are sizing up sparky in the corner...
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Quote Originally Posted by AKArcher View Post
    Dude, we can go up north and get you a bou of the road if you are sizing up sparky in the corner...
    I've never killed a coyote, fox, or wolf ...I generally don't shoot stuff that I don't intend to eat ...I'm not a trophy hunter, just a freezer-filler who enjoys the outdoors and the challenge ...gender doesn't matter either. Rack? So? No rack? No big deal unless it's saturday night...

That said, I was watching them skin and debone wolves in the labs over at the Alaska Museum at the University (FBX) and the animals didn't smell or look bad to me. I heard poodle's pretty good too if you put them in a slow cooker with BBQ sauce.

Brian

I was boiling a fresh shot wolf skull this winter, when I pulled it out my chessie male was there waiting as usual. I started carving meat off the skull and throwing it to him. He ate the first couple of chunks, but refused the 3rd. This is a dog known far & wide as a garbage disposal, I left the 3rd chunk laying on the kitchen floor that night ,and it was still there in the morning. I've never seen him refuse meat before, heck I've never seen him refuse anything edible before(onions, garlic, brocolli, orange peels, raw potatoes. I'll be honest it didn't smell bad, but if he says it's not edible, I'll take his word for it.

KK

Lots of countries eat dog, and I do not mean the hot-dog variety, those same countries are often feeding the dogs things you would not want to think about feeding a dog.

I have eaten muskrat and I often wonder why I tried it, not good but then we did not put much effort into preparation.

Give it a try and post a report.

Default reminds me of

Patrick McMannus short story where his wife had a guide book to edible plants and had him digging up weeds around the neighborhood. He finally told her edible doesn't mean good to eat I think he says if it was good to eat it would sell for 15 dollars a pound at the grocery store.
    good eating.

Default ate fox- once

I've eaten fox. Once. I was hungry enough to try it, so I did. Short story: it tastes exactly like it smells. Nice tender juicy meat that tastes exactly like fox urine.

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    I've eaten fox. Once. I was hungry enough to try it, so I did. Short story: it tastes exactly like it smells. Nice tender juicy meat that tastes exactly like fox urine.

Why does this thread come off as a bad joke, "once you get past the smell, you've got it licked".
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Default Canine

I prefer the cat family, bobcat is real tasty-so is aunt Susies house cat. The dogs and fox I ate weren't bad, just add B-B-QUE sauce. I don't like the weasel family but even they aren't as bad as a rutted out caribou.
    Horse and mule are a little stringy kinda like grizzly. Snake, alligator, and frog legs don't taste like chicken.Poultry are the nastiest animals on earth.
    I prefer dog over the puddle ducks I've eaten.
    Eating is a mind set, if you don't mind what's on the table sit down.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

What I learn from threads like these is that most people have preconceived notions about what is okay to eat and what is not, and nothing will change that. I'd wager that I could serve you all some wolf meat if you didn't know what it was, and you'd like it fine. But after I did tell you, your brain would kick in and you'd find yourself pretty disgusted...and suddenly it wouldn't taste very good and many of you would also go outside and heave. So it goes.

Kandiyohi Kid, my dogs will not touch wolf either. You have to practically starve them to get them to eat marten. I'm talking cooked, boiled. The reason they won't eat wolf, however, isn't because it doesn't taste good. FYI, as you likely know, dogs will eat some of the grossest stuff imaginable, including human feces. Using dogs as a judge of what's edible...is not a good way to confirm palatibility <grin>!

AKfishon, muskrat is one of the very best meats out there, as anyone who has lived remote will tell you. There are proper ways to skin, butcher, and prepare everything. Muskrat, like beaver, has to be done right.

Carry on guys...maybe next time we can start a thread on what bugs and grubs are good to eat and how to prepare them.
    Cheers, (PS, Brav01, we posted at same time, agree completely that eating is a mindset.)

Default Some animals probably never taste good.

Other animals don't taste good at certain times of the year due to diet and/or mating, or in advanced age. Sometimes the male tastes better than the female or vica versa.

I have had some excellent black bear in the spring, and some really bad black bear in the fall.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast