Thread: caribou hunting

Default caribou hunting

Hi all !!!
    I want to hunt caribou in Alaska. Can anyone tell me which is the best outfitter, time of the year and area to hunt?

Quote Originally Posted by alfhunt View Post
    Hi all !!!
    I want to hunt caribou in Alaska. Can anyone tell me which is the best outfitter, time of the year and area to hunt?
    The best time is when the caribou are running by. The best outfitter is the one that can put you in that spot where the caribou are running by. And the best area is where the caribou are, depending on the date you are hunting.

Seriously though, run a search on the forum for caribou, outfitters, etc. You will find a TON of information that will maybe help you narrow down certain things like when you plan on hunting, the various herds, etc. Then come back with specific questions. Good luck.

jmg is correct but how you figure it all out is something else.
    First, budget, the extra costs will get to you of you don't plan. That will help you figure out where you can go out from, which herd to hunt. At the moment the biggest herd seems to be the western arctic herd. Best outfitter? Depends where you are going out from. The best ones, especially in Kotzebue, are already booked for 2008 although there may be some openings. Time of year, well do you want a caribou bull in velvet or hard horned? Go too late the weather and the rut will influence your hunt.
    Like jmg said, run a search and you can get more information to help you make a decision.

Smile caribou hunt

Thanks for the advice, IŽll do my research and return when I have things more sorted out.

Default caribou outfitter

deltana outfitters always stays ahead of the bou. check out their web site and call some past clients. they are the best hassel free wilderness hunt. anwr