Thread: Check out my DOIT yourself shooting bag!

Default Check out my DOIT yourself shooting bag!

Okay, so I really wanted a leather shooting bag. Ive been using this fanny pack thing, but its small and hard to organize, rummage around in. So looking around I dont see anything in town that I like.

Well Ill just make one I says. Go down to the Black elk store, and fool around. First thing I realize is leather is ripping expensive. The lady there tells me to practice on cardboard first instead of buying the leather.

Well I still need a shooting bag for tommorow I think. I know, Salvation army out to have some leather in the form of *gag* purses but I ought to be able to get it cheap.

SO I picked out two purses that looked roughed up and about the right color I wanted.

I sewed the two straps together to make one wider strap. Made one purse the main bag. Then took the other purse apart, used one of its pockets and a couple of pieces of its leather to make one more pocket on my bag (for the powder flask) and extensions for the strap. Sewed it together with horse saddle thread. Then I added a piece of thin leather for a lanyard wich has my capper, nipple pick and patch sicors attached to it. That attaches to a brass ring on the bag.

And walla here is what you get

I test drove the bag on Sunday. It was infinatley better than the fanny pack. It carreid nicer and reloads were a breeze.

I fully intend on tanning up a bear hide I got and making a real nice shooting bag, but this one will do for now.

And yes it looks really rough but I did that on purpose so it didnt look too much like two purses sewn together.

Total cost was 10.00, 7 for the purses, 2.50 for the thread, and 50 cents for two needles.

The leather out of the scrap bin at black elk probably would have cost around 50-70 bucks to do this bag by the way

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    And yes it looks really rough but I did that on purpose so it didnt look too much like two purses sewn together.

Total cost was 10.00, 7 for the purses, 2.50 for the thread, and 50 cents for two needles.

The leather out of the scrap bin at black elk probably would have cost around 50-70 bucks to do this bag by the way
    I can hear the game now, "man, I just got shot by a guy carrying around TWO PURSES!!"

Really, the last thing I thought of when I saw the picture was that it was two purses sewn together. What a great idea, why spend a bunch of money if you don't have to. I'll remember this the next time I need a piece of leather for a project. I'm passing this on to a traditional archer friend of mine who is always looking for bits leather for his bow making. Thanks for sharing.

Phil