Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kodiak Island Deer Hunting

Default Kodiak Island Deer Hunting

A friend and I want to do a Blacktail deer hunt off Kodiak this fall. Anyone know of a good/honest transporter/lodge to hunt from.

Default Andrew Airways

I can vouch for these guys...

www.andrewairways.com

Ask for Stan...

Our group has used them twice the last two years and they did a great job for us. They have tons of rental gear if you need anything, and they have great pilots and staff. They just moved into a nice new office right down at the float plane airport. They'll pick you up at the airport and run you around town to pick up any fuel or other items you might need. They also rent some cabins, but we've always used public ones.

Hope you have fun.. I would suggest you go south island, we've had a pretty tough time the last few years up north and on Afognak.

Default did good for me

Kingfisher Aviation/Zachar Bay Lodge

Since no one has mentioned them: Seahawk Air. Been flying with them since the early 90s. Top notch outfit.

Default kodiak deer

2nd vote for Andrews Air.
    also think you'll want to stay "on" kodiak. you might pick up some halibut or salmon "off" the island, but don't think you'll hook many deer.
    Gary

I strongly recommend Andrew Airways - not that I've experienced many charter outfits on Kodiak, but after the outstanding service and very reasonable rates I've received from them the past two years, I'm not interested in looking any further.

Flown with both SeaHawk and Andrews Air. Both very good and both'll run you around town to get some supplies before you fly out (at least that was my experience)....I second the comment on getting to the south end of the island....

Default Boat Hunts

What about any outfitters that hunt off boats, ie Alaska Coastal Marine,Alaska North Gulf Coast Expeditions, Homer Ocean Charters or many other unguided boat services? Or even Any of the lodges that do guided/unguided services?

Go Seahawk Air. They are wonderful people, very knowlegable and will get you in and out safely. I would just camp or see about renting a cabin. When we went 2 years ago we got 3 deer the first day and 2 the next. Awesome hunt. You shouldn't need much help.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Thumbs up

Seahawk is the way to go. Great service and easy to deal with. Although I have to say Andrews is pretty darn good too. You can't go wrong either way.

Good hunting

I went through Homer Ocean Charters in 2002. We hunted out of Olga Bay. Excellent service and accomadations and would love to go back and do it againg but I have to many other hunts to get out of the way first. In fact I believe our groups picture is still on there deer hunting website.

Quote Originally Posted by AkGrumpy View Post
    What about any outfitters that hunt off boats, ie Alaska Coastal Marine,Alaska North Gulf Coast Expeditions, Homer Ocean Charters or many other unguided boat services? Or even Any of the lodges that do guided/unguided services?
    I know out of Zachar bay lodge you can use there skiffs to run around and hunt.

Default Great Bear Lodge

Very affordable and there are some great deer on Amook Island. He will transport you to different locations but you need to be in shape to get up to the deer.

Quote Originally Posted by LungShot View Post
    I know out of Zachar bay lodge you can use there skiffs to run around and hunt.
    ZB is a good operation run by a nice family with a long history in Kodiak.

Roland will get you there one way or another! This was a fun landing....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

skookum...that picture is out of control!!

I used Ninilchik charters as a transporter in 2006 for a pws sept bear hunt. Very nice setup and capt Al was a pleasure to stay with.

http://ninilchik.com/

Roark And Rick With Homer Ocean Charters Do A Top Notch Job.the Outer Limits Is A Awesome Boat... Rick Can Be Reached At 299-1819 Book Early Because They Fill Up Fast....

Default Good info

Lot of good info and been checking out each one. Several still in the running.

Quote Originally Posted by Skookumchuck View Post
    Roland will get you there one way or another! This was a fun landing....
    Ummmm brave souls walking on that lake / landing on that lake
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast