Thread: warning and advice

Default warning and advice

I want to share somthing stupid that i did to help prevent someone else from doing it. I went to the range yesterday i took my rifle out of a hard case. There was one round from a past trip in the case. Basicaly the round was the one from the pipe when i put the gun away. The problem was my 300 ultra mag had needed a new stock and the last time i was hunting i used my 338. I screwed up did not have my reading glasses and inserted a 338 into my 300 and pulled the trigger. It basically blew up in my face. I was more stupid as i did not have shooting glasses on. Lucky my eyes were ok but my face was scratched and burned. I know it is basic but when we are in the field and use the same case for different rifles with the one left over it could ruin your trip. I hope sharing this with people will help prevent them from being stupid like me. My rifle now had to go to the factory to have the brass removed that is stuck in it, and they are not sure if it wil pass a pressure test. This really sucks, but it could have been worse if i was in the field. Everyone be smarter and more careful then me. Stupid chef Viktor

Default Great advice

Glad to hear you're okay. Sorry about the gun Good example to always double check and never get in a hurry.

I found out that the muzzleloader kicks pretty good when ya leave the rod in it. Hehe. What grain bullet would that be anyhow??

Thanks for the tip chef viktor and glad to hear your ok.

Talking a new weapon....

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan
    I found out that the muzzleloader kicks pretty good when ya leave the rod in it. Hehe. What grain bullet would that be anyhow??
    Put a broadhead on it and see how it flies! You might be on to something there.....it would give muzzle loader/bow season an entirely new meaning!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Question

Chef,

Donít feel too bad, believe me... These things happen... Bullets should be color coded like resistors or something these days as they all look alike dealing with Win Mag rounds. I'm just glad you are ok and not missing a jaw or got a bolt sticking out the side of your face!!

When you think of the pressure behind that round going off, then trying to "push a golf ball thru a garden hose" effect ... it's amazing that it was a minor issue and not a catastrophically bad injury.

May I ask what make and model of rifle it was? I'm impressed the bolt remained locked and the action did not fail. Not to mention the barrel splitting open. The thoughts are scary, but it's good to know the rifle safety features engineered into it saved you from the worst case scenario.

Did the bullet manage to push through and out the barrel?
    God, Guns and Guts is what made America Great

Default accidents happen

Excellent reminder of how a lapse of concentration can be disasterous when handling firearms. Another example...

Younger brother who is very gun savy, was cleaned his handgun about 10 years ago. Afterward he popped a loaded clip into it with the action sild and locked in the back position (mistake number one). He evidently bumped the device that locks the action back (mistake number two). He did not have a firm grip on the gun (mistake number three) and as it slid forward loading a shell in the chamber, the gun jumped from his hand. Instinctively he grabbed for the gun and his finger clipped the trigger. Bullet went into his lap and nearly completed severed his soldier at about 1/3 from the end. After extensive surgery everything now works as it should thankfully. Had the bullet been slightly to the left or right it could have taken an artery to his leg out. Would have been the end of his life as he was alone at my folks' ranch quite some distance from any help.

When we lose concentration with a firearm preventable accidents happen.

-Carnivore

A couple years back at bear camp a guy brought up 2 identical rifles. one was a 375 and the other a 7mag. similiar mix-up occured, luckily the gun didnt blow. I shot a bear and we went in to retrieve it and when he went to clear his rifle it wouldnt eject. He got the bolts mixed up. He ended up "hugging" a tree and fired into the ground, hoping the tree would absorb most of the debris incase it blew. Needless to say the bolts are marked now.

I wouldnt think there what be a to much of a differance in bolts but there was where it wouldnt eject a live round. it just locked up.

Glad your allright chef.

Chef, I'm really glad no permanent damage to you and especially to your eyes. I would have never thought a .338 would even chanber in a .300. Hard lesson to learn, thanks for sharing and the warning.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S.
    Chef, I'm really glad no permanent damage to you and especially to your eyes. I would have never thought a .338 would even chanber in a .300. Hard lesson to learn, thanks for sharing and the warning.

It chambered in a .300 Remington Ultra Mag--- Way long case. You couldnt get a 338 Win mag in a 300 Win mag.

Glad to hear it didnt blow your face off. Thats some scarry stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud
    Put a broadhead on it and see how it flies! You might be on to something there.....it would give muzzle loader/bow season an entirely new meaning!

Ha, ha!! We think a lot alike. Too bad it kicks like a rented mule!

Default Thanks for sharing

Thanks for opening yourself up to some criticism in order to help everyone else. Also glad to see no one is giving you a hard time. Everyone screws up once in a while. Glad you are alright. There's your lifetime gun safety mulligan. A great reminder. Thanks again.

Glad to hear that you are ok. Things happen and I glad you shared this with us. We can all learn from peoples acciedents.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Wow, another reason a man should have one rifle.