Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking of another casting seminar

Default Thinking of another casting seminar

I'm thinking about running a casting seminar for beginners again this year, any interest?
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

I'm interested. I would like to learn how properly to cast dry flies. Right now all I know how to do is the "Kenai Flip".
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Then your just my target audience and if nothing else you have a free lesson coming my friend! For those who don't know it I'm on a one man crusade to end the Kenai Flip. (a little tongue and cheek but seriously if you have the desire to learn I'm offering the same class I used to charge $75.00 for! Almost ten years ago! For free! But this year someone needs to bring me a beer)
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Sounds like fun, hope everyone invited has a good time.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Yes, I would definently attend. My father has yet to learn how to fly fish, other than the Klutina Flip.
    http://www.youtube.com/growden1

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

When and where would this take place?

We'd have too work out a time last year we met at the Eklunta tail race. I'd kinda like to find a spot with a little more current this year. I'm wide open during the week and if I have enough notice I can probably find someone too watch Gunther, actually a friend of mine is thinking of having kids and has been begging too watch him so I'm sure he'd be willing too keep an eye on him.

Lets give folks and the weather a few more days too warm up a bit, then figure out a date, before fishing starts picking up.
    BHA Member

Smile fly casting

I would be interested if I can fit it into my schedule. Weekday evenings are best. My son may be interested also, until the first week in May he has evening classes on Tuesday, and Wednesday. So Monday or Thursday evenings are open if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    Then your just my target audience and if nothing else you have a free lesson coming my friend! For those who don't know it I'm on a one man crusade to end the Kenai Flip. (a little tongue and cheek but seriously if you have the desire to learn I'm offering the same class I used to charge $75.00 for! Almost ten years ago! For free! But this year someone needs to bring me a beer)

What brand? You provide the instruction and I will bring the beverages. I can do most any afternoon now that we have enough light, or durring the day friday, saturday, or sunday.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

Well far to many beers have jumped on the "Hop-pier is better" band wagon which is sad but I like any well balanced beer. Alaskan brewery makes a decent beer..... oh anything that isn't bud, Coors, miller ect. is good to me. Then again if you really wanted to make my day a bottle of mead would be more than welcome.
    BHA Member

Well far to many beers have jumped on the "Hop-pier is better" band wagon which is sad but I like any well balanced beer. Alaskan brewery makes a decent beer..... oh anything that isn't bud, Coors, miller ect. is good to me. Then again if you really wanted to make my day a bottle of mead would be more than welcome.

I don't know that I have ever had a mead. I will have to go and find one just to give it a try. I am a fan of the Alaskan Amber and Moose's tooth's Bear Tooth Ale. We will see how the Mead works out first. With all this fresh snow it seems the weather is not playing nice. If I knew what I was dooing I would stand in the yard and practise though.

Alaskan Amber is one of my top 5 production beers. Might be tough too find mead, don't kill your self. I'm doing this too help my fellow angler, meet a few of the other members and further the sport of fly fishing. Besides I like doing fun things for folks and last years seminar got rave reviews.

I have too apologize for the weather next year I'll buy a snow machine in April and save any boat purchases for September. Cross your fingers and do a fair weather dance, this snow can't last forever!?!
    BHA Member

Thumbs up I Brew Mead!!!

I do a fair amount of homebrewing, and I have a cranberry mead and a blueberry mead I will be bottling this weekend, (sorry, the fruit is at the womens request). I am a fair caster, but I would love to come and bring some mead for the opportunity to share the wealth and do some fishin!

I am in FAI now and looking to head down to the old stompin' ground sometime soon. I could possibly combine it with a hooligan dipping trip. Let me know when you are planning it, I got the mead!

By the way, ever tried fly fishing for Hooligan? It is totally stupid fun.

Default another option

PS. My roomate is heading down that direction soon. He says he would like to show up too. Let me know when it is, 'cause if nothing else I can probably send some mead down with him. Its really cool of you to offer this Rick P, glad to support the cause!

Blue berry mead ummmmmmm.

Never fished hooligan on a fly but I took one of those novelty rod and reels for casting in your office on a spring trip to Ontario with me when I was a kid. The rod was about 3' long and the reel about the size of a quarter, I got some 0wt line from the Cortland rep and headed to Ontario. The smelt (freshwater hooligan) were running and I landed several on a size 24, maybe smaller, midge emerger. Fun to the point of silliness! Biggest fish I landed on that rig was a 6 inch brookie, the rod snapped on a brook trout that was about 12" long. Come to think of it I think I saw one of those rigs at the sportsmen's warehouse, oh man this might be a real giggle.
    BHA Member

When the weather is ready to cooperate tell me when and where. I hope that Ring of Fire Meadery, 'Cosmic Mead' is acceptable. I figured I might have a taste too since I have never had a mead.

Default interested

I was unable to show up last year due to a scheduling conflict, but I'd like to be there if I can.
    Mark W.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

I'd be interested. I suspect my wife would like to come as well.

I'm thinking about running a casting seminar for beginners again this year, any interest?
    Rick- My son and I used to do quite a bit of fly casting instruction. If the schedule works maybe we can come along and help. We usually started the beginners out in a grass field (snip the business end off the fly) so the people concentrated on techinque not on "a fish that just might be right there..." After the basics of timeing and loading the rod we got on the water. Roll casting also opens up a lot of water to the shorebound angler. Keeps them out of the trees.

Default Great Idea!

Sure count me in -- had fun last year -- still casting the flyrod like spinning gear though. Caught a few grayling and a couple silver salmon on the rod.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast