Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Debate on Lynx

Default Debate on Lynx

Can you guys help me out with posting pictures on a continuous debate I have had with my husband regarding lynx.

He seems to think that lynx only comes in gray, but I think that they are orange and gray.
    When I first moved up here, I thought that I saw a mountain lion. He had his buddy laughed at me and affimed me that it was no mountain lion... that it was a lynx.

After taking with a few somewhat reliable sources, I have come to the conclusion that it was probably a lynx (a bigger one) and it was definitely orange. (...but haven't fully ruled out that it could infact have been a mountain lion).

Can I have help on this? My husband regularly views my threads on here and I'd like him to see what others (you all) are saying to resolve this debate between him and myself regarding the animal that I saw when I first came up to Alaska.

Thanks in Advanced. I'll be looking toward to your photos, stories, or articles.

On a side note, My Love, I AM RIGHT :D
    Lurker.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by COtoAK View Post
    Can you guys help me out with posting pictures on a continuous debate I have had with my husband regarding lynx.....
    With our husband?

Don't you win by default?

....He seems to think that lynx only comes in gray, but I think that they are orange and gray.....
    I've seen them in both color ranges.

...On a side note, My Love, I AM RIGHT :D
    Of course you are!

Hilarious.

Not 'our'. He's mine. My husband. :D Mine, mine, and only mine.

Now... I don't win by default because he likes to one up me on facts about Alaska. I believe that they come in both colors as well. He won't let this down. We have been debating this since July 30, 2006.

Last thing, Mark. 'My Love' is my husband. :D ;)
    Lurker.

Mark

.....Not 'our'. He's mine. My husband. :D Mine, mine, and only mine.
    You can have him. I don't want a husband.

.....Last thing, Mark. 'My Love' is my husband. :D ;)
    Of course he is!

Hilarious.
    You are cracking me up today.
    He's my husband... :D... and although I'd like to believe he's right, I really think that he's wrong on this one.
    Regardless, with the kinds of bets that we have, we both win in the end.
    (Laughing... he'll be laughing when he sees this as well)
    Lurker.

Sorry CO to AK never seen a orangish Lynx, Bobcat yes, but not a Lynx. That's not to say they don't come in that color, but until I see something that alters my opinion I have too side with the old man. Frankly I find the fact that this has been going on since July of 06 more interesting....might want to take a look at that and forget about what color the kitty was.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Ohhh one of those bets....well ignore the second half of my post. Seriously though Bobcat, common mistake........course you would have had too be a little further south, so who knows?
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Hm... Bobcat?
    There aren't Bobcats in Alaska, are there?
    Hm.

Yes... one of those on going bets where we both will not relent. I am not as Alaskan Educated on Wildlife Affairs than he is, but I will say that I know the color of an animal when I see it.

Actually, I wanted to show him while we were in Cantwell because I saw a mount of a lynx that was orange. It was a terrible mount and very ugly, but it still proved that there really are orange lynx in the area. The restaurant closed last August and I didn't know about this until we made a drive back from Alyeska with our church youth group this past March. Because the place is closed... I don't know where I'd find another orange lynx.
    *sigh*
    Lurker.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post

You sure about this?
    :D
    Lurker.

Hm... Bobcat?
    There aren't Bobcats in Alaska, are there?

Actually, I wanted to show him while we were in Cantwell because I saw a mount of a lynx that was orange. It was a terrible mount and very ugly, but it still proved that there really are orange lynx in the area.
    *sigh*
    1) Not that I'm aware of but again you never know and over the years I've learned too never be too certain about anything.

2) Ya except that there are all kinds of mistakes and aging that can happen to a mount too make it turn orange, saw a old mount of a polar bear once that looked like a orangutan from age and sun damage....good try though.
    BHA Member

Mark

Originally Posted by Mark
    You sure about this?
    :D
    Most certainly.

I already have a wife, which is already more than I can handle.

I've heard husbands can be really hard-headed..................

The F&G Wildlife Notebook page on lynx doesn't indicate any such variations in color, and their pages would usually mention such possibilities. It may indeed exist, but I'd have to see a picture.

Mark

My son and I saw a rather lanky lynx on Permanente Road about 15 years ago that was quite brownish or orange, and he had beautiful white hair on his "jowls". It was during the fall moose season.

On the other hand, most of the lynx I've seen were grey or silver, some with pronounced black dots, and others without.

It seems to me that there can be quite a variance.

Only on a tangent here ...

I did read a while back that some other large cat (Bobcat or Mt.Lion perhaps) had recently been spotted in several locations within AK. And there was enough differences in the multiple reports that suggested there was more than one of them prowling about. -- Global warming perhaps?

I can't say I've ever seen a orangish looking lynx though. And no, I don't want your husband either.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Strutz View Post
    And no, I don't want your husband either.
    It's okay. I want him (all of him) and that's all that counts. ;)
    Lurker.

Wow... all the responses doesn't make this any easier.
    *sigh*
    I don't want to let down and finally decide that he is right (again) but considering all that I see so far, he *might* very well be.
    I still know what I saw, though, and although I am no animal expert, it was too big to be a mountain lion and it did in fact have orange hair. (It wasn't a mount. It ran across the road in front of me.)
    Lurker.

When I worked as an ADF&G wildlife biologist in the 70s 80s and early 90s I remember a number of reports from reliable observers of what were probably mountain lions. These big cats are real wanderers, and that some of them might have "colored outside the lines" of their established range limits in B.C. doesn't seem to much of a stretch.

I'm certainly not a cat expert, but it might well have been a mountain lion that you saw.

David

Mark

.....it was too big to be a mountain lion and it did in fact have orange hair......
    Describe the tail.

What time of year did you see it?

The appearance of the Canadian lynx is similar to that of the Eurasian lynx: the dense fur is silvery brown and may bear blackish markings. The Canadian is rather smaller than its Eurasian cousin, at an average size of 11 kg (24 lbs), 90 cm (36 in) in length and a shoulder height of 60 cm (24 in). Males are larger than females. In summer, its coat takes on a more reddish brown colour. This lynx has a furry ruff which resembles a double-pointed beard, a short tail with a black tip and long furry tufts on its ears. Its long legs with broad furred feet aid the Canadian lynx in traveling through deep snow.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Lynx

If it was in the summer coat or transitioning from summer to winter or winter to summer I think orange could be the result.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

it was too big to be a mountain lion
    Mountain lions are by far the largest North American cat and are far larger than a lynx. If it was big, it probably wasn't a lynx.

Crazy! I would love to see something like that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast