Thread: My gun punches me in the nose!

Default My gun punches me in the nose!

I own a .44 Taurus with a ported 4" barrel. I know how most people feel about Taurus hand guns so- I don't wanna hear it! In any case, when I shoot the .44 it feels like someone just punched me in the nose. It didn't used to do this when I shot it. Does anyone have any ideas? Please keep in mind that I'm no gunsmith, so please answers/suggestions simple. Thanks!

I love Taurus handguns.

I dont not understand how it punches though. Please describe.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Question

Quote Originally Posted by alaskaman444 View Post
    I own a .44 Taurus with a ported 4" barrel. I know how most people feel about Taurus hand guns so- I don't wanna hear it! In any case, when I shoot the .44 it feels like someone just punched me in the nose. It didn't used to do this when I shot it. Does anyone have any ideas? Please keep in mind that I'm no gunsmith, so please answers/suggestions simple. Thanks!
    WHAT?! Stop calling it dirty names.

Que?

Does it actually hit you in the nose or do you just feel like you've been punched in the nose? Does the port escape hit you in the face? Try stretching out your arms and get the gun away from your face.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I think to fully comprehend your question we will need to analyze a brief video clip of yourself being punched in the nose by your handgun.

20 years ago I might have given you flak about a taurus but they've really come a long way and are a respectable firearm today. I'm with Mr. Miller on this, in a word confused. Are you saying that you squeeze the trigger and without the gun making contact your nose hurts? I could see if the recoil knocked your Taurus right into your face but from your post I'm confused.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default My 500 S&W

Handi-rifle punched me in the nose the other day. It literally slammed my trigger hand into my nose.

440 hardcast at 1895fps is mean in the Handi-rifle. And yes I was calling it names. Couldn't waste the ammo though so I shot all ten of them while also shooting my 375 gr Barnes XPB's at 1900 (these dont kick nearly as bad).

Got to tell you this one
    About 2 years ago I was sighting in down at birchwood and struck up a conversation with the guy next too me. He had just arrived too go on a moose hunt and was sighting in he and his buddies guns. So he finishes up with his rifle and pulls out his buddies, sits at the bench, squeezes off a round a jumps up shouting! He got scope bite from his buddies gun, whats worse is this was the third year in a row he ended up with scope bite from that gun! I just shook my head as he told me this,"The worse part is everyone keeps calling me patch!" he said. Well you end up with scope bite 3 years in a row from the same gun, it's not even yours and your upset cause they call you patch!....sounds like they are being kind to me!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    Handi-rifle punched me in the nose the other day. It literally slammed my trigger hand into my nose.

440 hardcast at 1895fps is mean in the Handi-rifle. And yes I was calling it names. Couldn't waste the ammo though so I shot all ten of them while also shooting my 375 gr Barnes XPB's at 1900 (these dont kick nearly as bad).
    And old timers trick to control the beast. Get some of the biggest dia surgical tubing you can buy, about twenty feet., double it up and tie both ends around the legs of your bench. Attach a sling swivel to the middle first and hook that to your forearm. That will tame the SOB, or allow it to flip down range and come back on you. Duck, if that happens.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

I guess I could be a bit more descriptive. The gun doesn't come into contact with my face from the recoil, I'm not that big of a wuss...lol. I'm guessing it's the pressure wave from the powder burn coming at me; making it feel like someone had punched me in the nose. I can actually feel the pressure all over my face. Like I said, it never did this before. I clean it pretty well after shooting it. Also, on the sides of barrel tip sight it looks like the metal has been melted from the heat of the pressure coming through the ports. I hope this helps. I would really appreciate any help with this. This was the first pistol I ever bought. I guess I'm a little attached. Thanks

Default .460

There is a video out there of an Encore handgun being shot in .460 WM. Guy made it up for fun, never intending to shoot it. Testeserone shooter on the range decided that he should give it a shot. After it bounced off of his forehead, I think the pistol gets lost off screen. Guy with imprint of Encore on his forehead was not happy with the resultant recoil.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

It's never going to respect you if you keep letting it treat you like that.

Some pictures might help too.

These are the ports on my 454 raging bull. The metal does appear to be affected by the flames a little.

I did a little damage to the inside of the muzzle end of the port by loading lightly jacketed bullets too fast and the jackets came apart. I fired four or five before I could see that I was not hitting the target. Nothing was hitting the target. Cleaned up the damage with a dremel and have been shooting well since. Paying more attention to manufacturers recommendations for bullet speed. The bullets were 240 grain power jackets I started at my max for the 340 loads I had. This would have been fine for 240 XTPs but the Sierras are meant for low velocities.

Oh yeah the blurry pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Loads???

Does this happen with just a specific load? And is it a hand load?

I know if that happened to me, I would be thinking. "Was it something I said"?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson