Thread: Night Vision and Chem Lights

Default Night Vision and Chem Lights

FWIW:

Sometime back there was some discussion as to the *best* color of light stick to get seen in an emergency.

I attended an avalanche awareness class 2 weeks ago. Also in attendance were some troopers. I asked them if a particular color had a better display in NV goggles. The answer: No. The goggles are sensitive enough to pick up virtually ANY light source.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenaimike View Post
    FWIW:

Sometime back there was some discussion as to the *best* color of light stick to get seen in an emergency.

I attended an avalanche awareness class 2 weeks ago. Also in attendance were some troopers. I asked them if a particular color had a better display in NV goggles. The answer: No. The goggles are sensitive enough to pick up virtually ANY light source.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled forum.
    I would have to agree. When I was in the Army, you could see light that wasn't visible to the bare eye. Pretty amazing.

If it's in the visible spectrum NV equipment detects it.

Chemlight manufacturer, Cyalume, makes infrared light sticks too.
    Could be an option considering that the troopers and military use IR in aerial searches.

If you're carrying chemlights remember that they are affected by cold.
    Also
    Your eyes see green best
    Yellow gives the best illumination for work
    Red has the least impact on night vision

A road flares is my choice for the best chemical light in an emergency.

Tie a 4' or 5' piece of 550 cord to the eyelet of a chemlight.

Distance can be hard to judge some times given the conditions, so wait to crack the chemlight until you can hear the rescue aircraft.

Holding the end of the 550 cord not tied to the chemlight, whirl the cracked chemlight in a circle above your head as vigorously as possible.

A static chemlight might not get the attention of your rescuer that a chemlight in motion will.

An 8' or 10' diameter circle of light is an attention getter to both the naked eye and the eye looking through NVGs.