Thread: New Old Boat

Question New Old Boat

My wife and I are looking at getting a bigger boat for PWS. Last year we saw a lot of Baylinerís 2851s and such. Running a jet boat back and forth each day is a pain and I want a boat that we can stay on for a while.

I am looking at a 1986 30ft Sea Ray 300DB, with twin gas.

It is a sedan with a fly bridge and is loaded. I was also looking at Silvertonís, but was told that they are not a good boat. I was also told that back in the 80's Sea Rays were pretty good boats. It will need a bit of work, but most of it is cosmetics.

Any and all comments would be appreciated as this will be my first boat of this kind.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Volvo's or Merc's?

......also consider your width. If over 10' as it stands now you will be required a pilot car. The cost of the tunnel would be $125. Not a big deal just some considerations.

I have a 2859 Bayliner and we do the same thing. Spend a few days on the water.

Default Project

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    Volvo's or Merc's?

......also consider your width. If over 10' as it stands now you will be required a pilot car. The cost of the tunnel would be $125. Not a big deal just some considerations.

I have a 2859 Bayliner and we do the same thing. Spend a few days on the water.
    It has twin mercs and has a 11ft beam. it has an on board genset with heating and cooling, head, shower, full galley. The plan is to just leave it in Whittier for the season.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    It has twin mercs and has a 11ft beam. it has an on board genset with heating and cooling, head, shower, full galley. The plan is to just leave it in Whittier for the season.
    Those Rays from the 80's were decent rigs. I looked at the tunnel price.....ouch.

Double check your width(as they will at the booth). Ensure you are under 11' width and 14' in height and permit it for your true width. May save a "C" note or better. Also anything that is removable(generally) is not included in your width(within reason).

I got tagged on one trip for $135......I didn't know it till I seen the reciept after the trip. I went to use the restroom and my wife paid. At my widest point I am still under 10'.

Default Max width

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    Those Rays from the 80's were decent rigs. I looked at the tunnel price.....ouch.

Double check your width(as they will at the booth). Ensure you are under 11' width and 14' in height and permit it for your true width. May save a "C" note or better. Also anything that is removable(generally) is not included in your width(within reason).

I got tagged on one trip for $135......I didn't know it till I seen the reciept after the trip. I went to use the restroom and my wife paid. At my widest point I am still under 10'.
    What is the max width for the tunnel? If it is 11 ft then i should be OK. Lots to learn. Lots to learn.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Here is the link to the tunnel. Look under tolls. You fall into the class "E" category, more then 10' but less then 11', which is 300 bucks. Ensure you retain your receipt for your return trip(the one where you paid for the boat). Anything over 11' wide and exceeding 15' in height is a special load and the costs get huge.

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/creg/whit...el/index.shtml

The big thing to remember is most of the over width things are written for the commercial guys. We have to comply as private carriers but do not require the USDOT#'s or the inspection requirements.

The biggest pain is the tracks and the crub. I drive a dually so my trailer tracks with the truck. So I run pretty tight to the curb to keep from moving around because of the tracks.

Default There is always

Valdez. I could launch there and then have the wife meet me in Whitter with the truck and trailer.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    Valdez. I could launch there and then have the wife meet me in Whitter with the truck and trailer.
    Price of fuel for 2 vehicles to and from Valdez plus the fuel for the trip across PWS (minus the beautiful scencery) will make it worth the $300 toll.

Let me know I will be available after 22 May for a trip anywhere. Will be moving my raft to Homer no later then the weekend of the May 17th.