Thread: 7mm-08 for Dalls?

Default 7mm-08 for Dalls?

I'm in the early stages of planning a 2007 Dall hunt (Brooks) and I'm wondering what the consensus opinion is on the 7mm-08 as an effective dall sheep caliber? Never having hunted sheep before, I'm concerned that with the potential for 300+yd shots and stiff winds maybe I should lug the markedly heavier '06 around instead.

Also, is anybody hunting sheep with bipods or shooting sticks, or am I better off leaving the extra weight at home? Thank you for any and all input!

You will most likely have a day pack even on the stalk to set up a shot.
    Shooting prone off your daypack is a common technique that works good.
    Your shot should not be hurried. I would not carry bi-pods or shooting sticks.
    I would do everything possible to get the shooting distance to 150 yds or less. That final stalk is an adreniline high, the best part of the hunt. At those distances the 7mm-08 will do very good.

KC...

I think there is another thread not too far back where there were lots of responses to your question about using the bipod, pros/cons and what else to use.

Good luck with your hunt!

Thumbs up 7mm08 for sheep

KC: My hunting partner and I are both using 7mm08s when we go out next week for dalls. He's used his for several years and I decided to size down from my 300 win mag this year. Most ballistics tables will show that the 7-08 is comparable to a .270, which is known as a pretty good sheep gun in its own right. Chignik is right that you should try to shorten the distance of your shot with a good stalk, as too many people seem to think that they must prove their shooting ability with extremely long shots, but that being said sometimes you can't get any closer than 300 yards. The key is to use a firearm that you are comfortable shooting and that you can shoot accurately. The advantage of the 7-08 is little recoil, which leads to better accuracy. The biggest and flattest shooting magnum does little good if you flinch when you shoot.

Good luck with whatever you choose for your hunt and take time during the next year to put a lot of rounds through your rifle to prepare for your hunt.

Default Sticks

You've got great advice previous. I too wouldn't lug a bipod or shooting sticks. But what I always have is a collapsible high quality trekking pole. Not only does it provide wonderful support for walking and fording streams, but I practice with it to aid in shooting.
    The only fly in the paint is the off chance of a Mt. Grizzly encounter.

I agree on the trekking poles for on a sheep hunt. Sidehilling On a steep rock scree, I've had to use my rifle to maintain balance and keep from falling. Shooting several hundred rounds will do more to raise your confidence in your rifle and your shooting ability. Still shooting at 300 yds, it will be hard to put a group inside a Dall sheep vital zone.

Default Thanks...

Thanks for the input, folks. As a flatlander from WI, I thought maybe the laws of physics were different north of the arctic circle. FWIW--I've used the 7-08 for antelope in WY, but I've never had to take a shot further than 150yds and pronghorns are tiny compared to that big 40" ram I'm gonna take next year. (Can you hear me knocking on wood!?!)

As the trip planning progresses I'm sure I will spend countless hours here scanning the archives and posting my own inane questions. Hope you all will bear with me.

I used a 7-08 last yr on dall sheep. The range finder said 242 yrs. 140 grn sierra pro-hunter passed thru and it was picture time. I used the backpack for a rest. No need to carry extra things when a backpack makes a great rest, practice shooting off of it before you go thou.