Thread: Which line- 7 wt rod

Default Which line- 7 wt rod

So I'm trying to figure out what line to get for my Redington 7 wt. 10' rod. I'm running an Okuma integrity 8/9 reel and will be targeting trout on the Kenai and Parks streams, as well as some silvers and possibly chums/pinks. Its been over 10 years since I've bought line and there seems to be a ton more to choose from. Has anyone used the tip exchange system lines?
    Should I get a sink tip or a full sink line?
    Also I've heard about running one wt. heavier line than the rod, is this good advice?

Quote Originally Posted by fishslayer View Post
    So I'm trying to figure out what line to get for my Redington 7 wt. 10' rod. I'm running an Okuma integrity 8/9 reel and will be targeting trout on the Kenai and Parks streams, as well as some silvers and possibly chums/pinks. Its been over 10 years since I've bought line and there seems to be a ton more to choose from. Has anyone used the tip exchange system lines?
    Should I get a sink tip or a full sink line?
    Also I've heard about running one wt. heavier line than the rod, is this good advice?
    Most folks use a sink tip line I personally don't like them unless I'm fishing super big waters,really fast currents or still water. I've found I get allot better depth control, more natural presentation and miss fewer hits with a floating line and split shot. The tip exchange systems work nice if you'll be seeing tons of different water in a short time but in general go in my "seemed cool but it's just another gadget" pile. As too running one weight heavier if you find the rod a bit fast for you that is a fix, otherwise stick with the rated line weight. As to brand of line, it's hard too go wrong with Cortland lines.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

I would put Rio wf7f (weight forward 7 weight floating) accelorator line on it. The rod was designed for 7 weight line, thats what I would line it with.

Rio: Coldwater Clouser Line or Scientific Anglers Ultra 4 or Mastery Series..

One thing to remeber certian lines are Over weighted for particular applications and this of particular help to assist casting streamers and indicators.

a versi tip is nice for the versitility...

I will say that you NEED a floating line absolutely NEED one. I reccomend an SA steelheader if you don't opt for a versi tip.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

SA Sharkskin is supposed to be a pretty sweet line...