Thread: camp fire

Question camp fire

Just wondering about everyones opinion on camp fires while on a moose float is it a good thing or bad thing.

Default camp fire

You will probably get a few different responces, but in 2006 on our float we had a fire every night. We shot 2 bulls off the same gravel bar 24 hours apart, and had a fire going at the time they were both shot. Didnt bother the moose. So I dont think it matters, I will have a fire.

Nothing better than a warm fire while kicking it in camp at the rivers edge at night. Heck one of those riverside campfires saved one of my buddies life one night when he realized he forgot his sleeping bag on a riverboat moose hunt, 19 degrees is awful cold with no bag to get in to! (you know who you are...... grin)

Default fire and smoke

While guiding moose hunters during the 2004 season north of the Yukon River I observed moose many days within one mile of a huge tundra fire. The moose acted unconcerned about the smoke and slow moving fire.

When the wind changed direction the smoke did affect me and it was time to get down river to see and breath.

Dennis
    AK TAGS

Never had any issues with campfires scaring off moose, while floating or in a hard camp.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    Nothing better than a warm fire while kicking it in camp at the rivers edge at night. Heck one of those riverside campfires saved one of my buddies life one night when he realized he forgot his sleeping bag on a riverboat moose hunt, 19 degrees is awful cold with no bag to get in to! (you know who you are...... grin)
    What !!!!!!!! You did not let your buddy share yours ?
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Default Camp fire

After cutting wood for a fire on this 10 day float out of bethel This nice moose came out of the willows and walked right into camp,Lucky for him Moose season was closed the day before
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've come into camp to find moose tracks beside a warm fire pit.
    Now what ?

Default Campfires on moose hunts

Moose seem unaffected by campfires. In fact, I believe that the low talking, breaking sticks for the fire, etc. actually draws some bulls in. Two years ago I had a mature bull come right in to camp (about 20' from us) while we were sitting around the campfire in early evening. We had already killed a bull, so we let this one go. But it does happen.

With brown bear it's another story.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

4 years ago I shot a 50" bull 125 yards from camp, I was standing right next to our campfire and the smoke had zero affect on him. We've had moose sneak in on us while sitting around the campfire chewing the fat, noise or smoke doesn't seem to bother at all and I think their natural curiousity can be their downfall.

Default Build a fire!

We had a bull come into camp, drawn by the sound of a friend breaking sticks to build a campfire. I've heard of bulls being drawn by the sound of an axe.

Having fought fires many years, I have been on a lot of "hunter fires," so just make sure your campfire is out before you leave it! And nowadays I always try to avoid blackening rocks and leaving axe and saw marks when I can, to minimize my impact on the wilderness.

Talking

Thanks for all the info,this site and all the members are a great help.

probably better than your BO on a long float trip eh?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.