Thread: Septic Systems

Default Septic Systems

I was wondering what expirences others had with installing a new septic system. I was kicking around the idea of doing it myself but I don't know if I will have time. Are there any recomendations for companies around the soldotna/funny river area? What is the cost? things to consider? What to watch out for? etc....

Thanks
    Looking forward for advice.

Aardvark is a good outfit. About 5 to 6 K.

You will need to find someone who has their Septic Certification with DEC.

I can give you more information through PM if you are interested.
    Lurker.

Thanks I will look into it. Interested if anyone has done it them selves and if there were any problems?

thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambow View Post
    Thanks I will look into it. Interested if anyone has done it them selves and if there were any problems?

thanks again.
    Did my own. For a little less than 2K. Rent a backhoe, buy 500 gal tank and pvc for leach field and lines to the tank. Read up on it, get everything to proper depth and lines set at the proper degree or angle and bury it all carefully. Took me 3 days so if a company charges 5-6K then 3-4K goes into their pocket.

Default Do it yourself

If you do it yourself you'll have to take the DEC class, or hire a enginer to come out and and do tests on it ( while you are installing it ). Otherwise you are screwed when it comes to the banks having anything to do with your house.There is a test that runs about 750.00 if its already installed. Make **** sure it is at least 105 feet from the well, ( they say 100, but give yourself some room because if its 98 feet you're in trouble.) just my 2 cents. E.S.

IF you have power 24/7 check out Lifewater. The engineer is in Fairbanks and they are built in Homer. A complete septic treatment plant that can work with out a leach field. This guy works with the state DEC and can engineer for your specific site. I know it is not doing it your self but and option if you need one.

He built me one for my lodge on an island.

George

Thanks I don't have power yet. I'll be using a generator. What does this guy at lifewater charge?

It was 7 years ago but I think the end product was about 10K for the unit itself and shipping and the leach field was seperate.

Google Lifewater and see what that gets you.

George

I just got a bid of 6,000 for the septic. The guy threw me a little curve ball though and said for another 1,200 he would run a water line from my well pump and hook up a "Curb stop" valve. Apparently when you shut off the water is flushes it back down to the water line. I'm pretty new at this stuff since I have never delt with a septic system before. Does anyone know what he is talking about and if it is worth it?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dws View Post
    Took me 3 days so if a company charges 5-6K then 3-4K goes into their pocket.
    Not quite. I used to be in the business, & they have some costs you don't. Operater wages (and SS, insurance benefits, workman's comp, etc), company insurance, advertising costs, office personel, etc. It's not a bad business, but not quite that good
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Quote Originally Posted by Rambow View Post
    I just got a bid of 6,000 for the septic. The guy threw me a little curve ball though and said for another 1,200 he would run a water line from my well pump and hook up a "Curb stop" valve. Apparently when you shut off the water is flushes it back down to the water line. I'm pretty new at this stuff since I have never delt with a septic system before. Does anyone know what he is talking about and if it is worth it?

Thanks
    It sounds like a valve that drains the line after the pump runs. These are used in shallow lines and lines likely to freeze. If you aren't using your water everyday in Winter or if its got to be shallow it probably worth it. I've always buried mine in South Central at 10-11 feet and not had a problem with freezing even with extended periods of non-use.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Default Lifewater Engineering