Thread: Hiking Chilkoot 17th to 20th June 2008

Default Hiking Chilkoot 17th to 20th June 2008

Hi,

Further to my previous post I am travelling to Skagway from Jeaunu on the 14th of June with the intention of doing the hike over 4 days starting on the 17th. I will get the ferry back to Jeaunu on the 21st. If the weather is looking good I will start the trail a couple days earlier. I spoke with the permit office and they said that it's unlikely I'll need to book a permit in advance for mid June.

Anyhow I'm currently doing the hike alone and would be happy to have some company so if you are interested contact me at

bendort@yahoo.com

Also has anyone got any advice about what temp sleeping bag to use, I was going to use a 29 farenheit (at comfort) bag, but guessing this will not be enough for sleeping on the snow? I don't mind a bit of a chilly night but would like to survive!

Default Follow UP

Thought I'd write a follow up to this post in case it's of use to anyone in the future. I ended up doing this hike on pretty much the dates as above and had a great time. There were quite a few people on the trail and the trail is really well marked (no need for a map and compass!!) So I felt pretty safe the whole time. The summit day was a bit tricky as some of the trail wands had fallen over but I tagged along with another couple and we(they!) kind of found the route up. There was snow from about an hour after sheep camp to about 2 hours after happy camp, but this wasn't a problem provided you left reasonably early. The stairs were pretty much snow covered, just a few bits of rock poking out here and there, but there were footholes in the snow so climbing up the stairs was fairly straight forward, although I had poles which made it alot easier. The avalanche zone didn't look particually threatening (although what do I know?!) so I don't think this should ever put you off hiking early in the season. The weather was good, overcast or sunny, we had one morning of heavy rain, but the weather really wasn't that cold, so getting wet wasn't really a problem. June seemed to be a good time to do the hike, it wasn't too busy and the snow made the trail a bit more interesting.